It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to separate Content Store and Data-warehouse DB from other DBs?

Natsumi Yokoyama (209387101) | asked Dec 23 '13, 2:35 p.m.
edited Dec 23 '13, 2:43 p.m.

Hi,

My customer is going to deploy CLM server with RRDI at small scale. He has a plan to scale up CLM server  in future.  So that I want to know about server configuration patterns and its limitation.

Q1

Is it possible to separate a DB host of Content Store and Data-warehouse from other DBs' host?

According to CLM's information center, "Distributed enterprise" example topology shows that Content Store and DW are set up in same DB server with JTS, CCM, QM databases. Does it mean that it is impossible to set up Content Store and DW on different server from other CLM databases? I think it is possible.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/c_topology_ex_dist_clm_dept.html&scope=null

Q2

Is it possible to change host server of Content Store and Data-warehouse DB?

At first,  I want to set up CLM server with RRDI as a small scale confgiration. All DBs are set up in one DB server. Few years after, I will separate Content Store and Data-warehouse DB from this existing DB server. The reason why I plan to separate is to improve performance at Large Scale deployment.

Thank you in advance.

Natsumi

Accepted answer

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Dec 24 '13, 4:00 a.m.
Hello Natsumi,

A1: Yes, it's possible to have the content store and data warehouse databases hosted on a different server from the CLM repositories. You are not even required to have the data warehouse and the content store on the same host. The only limitation I know of is that the setup application doesn't allow you to select 2 different database vendors for the data warehouse and the content store (like data warehouse on Oracle and Content Store on DB2).

A2: Yes, it's possible to change the host of the content store and data warehouse databases at a later time. You move the databases with the tool provided by your DBMS of choice and then reconfigure CLM and Insight to point to the new locations. The content store connection is defined only in IBM Cognos Connection, while the Data warehouse connection is defined in several places (each CLM application, the RIDW data source, the ETL catalog, ...). For CLM you can also rerun the setup application to change the data warehouse connection string.
Note: in the case of Oracle if you want to be able to move the data warehouse and content store databases in the future, make sure that each one of them have its own instance (separate SID) and doesn't share the same one with the CLM repositories.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi
Natsumi Yokoyama selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Natsumi Yokoyama commented Dec 24 '13, 4:12 a.m.

Thank you so much !

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.