It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG M4 client on XP - failing to authenicate user

Norman Dignard (356695177) | asked Oct 26 '12, 9:07 a.m.
This is a continuation of thread the following thread which appears to be broken as I can't post to it.
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/89674/dng-beta-4-client-user-authenication-failure-on-windows-xp

Per the thread, we initially had DNF Beta2 and now are have installed the DNG M4 client on our XP SP3 image that has IE6. When the user tried to log in they just get returned to the login username/passwrd screen.  From the same host using Firefox 14, they can log in without a problem. We tried it on another XP box with IE8 - and that appears to work fine. In the previous post users commented that IE 8 or 9 is required.
(Note: We cannot upgrade these hosts as they are locked down. We are migrating to Win7 in the near future. As a workaround to IE 6 limitations, users use FF 14.x)

What dependancy does DNG thick client have with IE8/9?   If there is a dependancy, then what of Eurpoean agencies which from my understanding have the option of not installing IE with Windows. What then?

One answer

permanent link
Dominic Tulley (38114) | answered Oct 26 '12, 11:26 a.m.
The rich client embeds the operating system provided web browser control for various parts of the user interface.  This control is tightly bound to the version of IE installed on your machine.
The rich client requires that IE8 or IE9 is installed on your machine to operate correctly.
This may be related to your login problems (interference with cookie handling) and it will certainly interfere with subsequent use of the rich client if you do get logged in on the machine in question (we haven't tested with IE6 but I can imagine things won't go smoothly).
As a first step, can you upgrade the machine in question to have IE8 on it (this is supported on XP SP3)?
I also suggested, in a separate email, that you could try deleting all cookies relating to your server machine from the client machine in question and see if that helps.  The logs you have supplied seem to suggest some sort of cookie confusion occurring.

It would be good to hear how either or both of these suggestions works out.
thanks,

-Dominic

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Oct 26 '12, 12:05 p.m.

Clearing cookies etc. in IE6 did not resolve the problem. Also note upgrading to IE8 is not an option available to us.

Looks like users will have to wait for the DNG client until we upgrade to Win7

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.