It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Use Rational Requirements Composer (RRC) or Rational Software Architect (RSA) diagram

Michael Taylor (8865764) | asked Jun 11 '13, 12:16 p.m.

My team is new to Rational tools.  I am completing a solution design that was started in MS Visio and that may also have a number of technical requirements for the team to implement.  I am now getting into RRC (Rational Requirements Composer) and I may be able to get access to our enterprise install of RSA (Rational Software Architect).

My question is which is more appropriate - use RRC or RSA for the solution diagram?  From my reading, RRC diagrams are intended to be more for use cases or process flows.  My solution design is not really a flowchart or process flow although I can certainly use a flowchart to document what is needed for the design.

Does it matter whether I use RRC or RSA?  If I use RRC now, how hard is it for me to transfer the diagram to RSA later?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lara Ziosi (33811112) | answered Jun 11 '13, 12:28 p.m.
Hello,

While you can create links between artifacts in RRC and artifacts in RSA Design Manager, to my knowledge you cannot import RRC Diagrams into RSA.

For the integration between RSA DM and RRC, see:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rdmhelp/v4/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rcam.linking.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_dm_rm_int_ov.html

RSA has richer diagramming capabilities than RRC, encompassing all the UML Diagram types, and other diagram types such as BPMN and Topology diagrams.

Here is the RSA 8.5.1 InfoCenter:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rsahelp/v8r5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.xtools.installation.rsaws.doc%2Ftopics%2Freadme.html

See the section "Creating Models and diagrams"
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rsahelp/v8r5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.xtools.installation.rsaws.doc%2Ftopics%2Freadme.html

Thank you and regards, Lara

Michael Taylor selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Joanne Scouler (1112) | answered Jun 11 '13, 12:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
RSA is a visual modeling tool and RRC is a requirements management tool.  Depending on the type and number of diagrams you plan to document, RSA is probably the better choice. You may want to take look at DOORS Next Gen (jazz based) which has some expanded capabilities from RRC.

Comments
Michael Taylor commented Jun 11 '13, 2:51 p.m.

Thank you. 

For developers documenting technical requirements and detailed technical design type of information (modules, pseudo-code, along with Technical requirements and application architecture diagrams, etc.), which Rational Tool is intended for that?

It seems like DOORS is also a Requirements management tool.  Does it have the same objectives as RRC?  Why do two tools DOORS and RRC exist?

Thank you.

Alastair Beadle commented Jun 12 '13, 3:39 a.m.

DOORS is a separate product that IBM acquired some years ago and continues to support.
DOORS NG integrates DOORS features with RRC - it is basically RRC with a bolt-on DOORS like rich client. But it doesn't add any diagramming capabilities that RRC does not already have.
Ali

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.