It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migrating from Multi-Select List to Enumeration List

Muktar Mohammed (1311924) | asked Sep 17 '12, 4:01 p.m.
 Hello there,

What's the best way of updating a process template with the old Multi-Select List datatypes to the new Enumeration List.

Thanks.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Sep 18 '12, 5:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
To my understanding, changing data type is not possible directly.  I had tried a lame attempt to modify the configuration source but it dint go that well though I cannot recollect what was not it exactly.

However, one possible way could be to use child project areas..

Suppose you have a Multi-Select List Process Template, create the Parent Project Area PPA_M from it
Create a replica process template
   delete the multi_select list
   add Enumeration List data typed attribute with same ID as the Multi-Select List Attribute from PPA_M
Use this to enum typed process template to create new Parent Project Area E, PPA_E

Enable Process Sharing in both the parent projects PPA_M, PPA_E.

Now any child project CPA_ChangingAttribType of PPA_M will have Multi-Select List Attribute
When you need to change the type, change parent of CPA_ChangingAttribType to PPA_E

Since the attribute id's are same, the type should most likely, effectively change.

Hope this gives the required solution or atleast some direction towards an answer.
Cautionary Note : I have not tested this for any dependencies that might be affected..

Muktar Mohammed selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Muktar Mohammed commented Sep 18 '12, 1:37 p.m.

Thank you for your response Dinesh.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Sep 19 '12, 8:48 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note: I once ran this past the RTC dev lead, and he warned me that this approach could produce errors, so it is not a supported approach.

Dinesh Kumar B commented Sep 20 '12, 3:06 a.m. | edited Sep 20 '12, 3:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Muktar, as mentioned in my solution, I have not tested it for hidden dependencies. Please exercise caution before using this solution.

Importantly, as we see from Geoffrey's note, it is not a supported approach.
Thanks Geoffrey for your inputs.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 19 '15, 4:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.