It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

When discard a change set with a Work Item associated to it, is there any way to remove the link in WI at the same time?

Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | asked Aug 23 '12, 2:18 a.m.
RTC 301.x or 4.0 used

When there is a changeset and it is associated with a Workitem, if we discard changeset, we see the Workitem still has link to the changeset. Is there any way to remove the WI link at the same time when discarding the changeset as it could be confused to see unwanted changeset is still there in Workitem's link.

If we cannot do that, is there anything behind the design why it does not allow the user to do that?
( I understand that we can go to Workitem and manually remove the link after that. Also if I remove the WI first and then discard changeset, it will be ok. Or removing WI and then discarding changeset is the right procedures,
and if the user does not remove WI first, the tool leaves an option of having the link to the changeset which user can use it to accept the changeset to bring it back?)

Appreciate if anyone can provide some insights here. Thanks a lot.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 23 '12, 9:18 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
First, I want to thank Don for creating an excellent "title" for the question which concisely summarizes the question being asked (everyone: please follow Don's good example :-).  Note that many of the main contributors to the forum will only respond to a question with a clearly phrased question as the title, so it is in your interest to do so (:-).  Now back to Don's question ...

When a change-set is linked to a work item, it says "the purpose of the change-set is to perform the work specified in this work item".
When a change set is in a stream, it says "I want the changes in this change set to be applied to this stream".

Note that these two pieces of information are logically completely independent.  So if the work item associated with a change set is wrong, and you change it to point to the correct work item, this does not imply that this change set should be discarded from any particular stream or workspace.  Conversely, if you decide you do or don't want that change set in a particular stream or workspace, that does not imply that this change set is associated with the wrong work item.

The "discard" operation is one way of removing a given change set from one of your workspaces.  In most common cases, that does not mean that the change set is associated with the wrong work item ... it just means that at this moment, you no longer want the changes from that change set in your workspace.  So keeping "discard" operation completely separate from the "disassociate from work item" operation is a very deliberate design choice.

Don Yang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Don Yang commented Aug 23 '12, 10:51 p.m.

Thanks Geoff. As usual, thanks a lot for your prompt reply. Happy to know that my question title is recommended format.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Dec 22 '12, 11:07 a.m. | edited Dec 22 '12, 11:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note: I've converted Jamie's comment to a question:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/97340

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.