It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC/RRC - Change default options for linking WI

DH Lee (25784446) | asked Jun 19 '13, 1:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When users link Workitem with implement request, upon new artifact creation, Actor is automatically selected for Artifact type. As "Actor"s property is text, I believe text should also be select. However default value of Artifact property is kept empty. It is only when other Artifact type is selected, the corresponding artifact properties will be selected automatically.

Is there any way to enable automatic Artifact properties select feature when Artifact type is selected? 

Also default location of folder is set to root folder of RRC during linking workitem with implement request. Is there any way to change default folder/location or leave folder unselected?

One answer

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Jul 02 '13, 9:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 I think this is probably a question for the RTC developers, since it sounds like you are using the RTC space to create a new requirement artifact through the implement request dialogue. Whenever you create a new requirement in RRC, the dialogue will automatically fill in the default format ("Text" in this case) so if the dialogue in RTC is not doing this as well then I think that's a defect against RTC. 

As for the default folder, I'm not sure if there is a property in the RTC "Advanced Properties" page to control this, but if there isn't then I doubt there is a way to default to a different folder when creating an RRC artifact from RTC. In RRC, you can navigate to the folder you desire, and there should be a "Create Artifact" option in the drop-down menu (see screenshot below). When you select that option, the default folder should be the folder which was selected when you clicked the "Create" option. 

Make sense? Hope this helps!

Mike Jaworski

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 02 '13, 10:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

It is very likely that RTC is just using OSLC to invoke a dialog provided by RRC to create a requirement, in which case the semantics of this operation are all defined by RRC.

Mike Jaworski commented Jul 02 '13, 11:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Could you provide some details about the OSLC spec which defines this dialogue? I would have imagined that RTC makes an OSLC call for the Artifact Type model from RRC and is using this information to populate the dialogue independently, but is not using the rm:defaultFormat property to fill in the default format field correctly. However, if this is controlled by RRC then I'd be interested to see that.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 02 '13, 11:46 a.m.

Here is a pointer to the "delegated UI" approach, where the client effectively just says "I need a resource of a given type", and the requirements provider (such as RRC) does all the rest:
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/RmSpecificationV2?sortcol=table;up=#Delegated_UIs
So in particular, the requirements consumer (such as RTC) wouldn't have to know about details like whether RRC stores its requirements in folders, and whether a requirement has an Actor property or how it gets initialized.
Where is the "rm:defaultFormat" property defined?

Mike Jaworski commented Jul 02 '13, 3:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The "rm:defaultFormat" property isn't defined through an OSLC spec - my fault. It is part of the resource model for Artifact Types within the RRC type system. If this is handled by a delegated UI then this would need to be handled by RRC web development. Probably best to create a defect for development investigation.

DH Lee commented Jul 03 '13, 9:24 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thank you Michael and Geoffrey for detailed discussion. It looks as the behavior which I described is working from RRC, however it does not work when users attempts to use RTC to create requirement. 

Since defect is mentioned, should it be created by forum admin/ development team?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 04 '13, 3:18 p.m. | edited Jul 04 '13, 3:18 p.m.

I'd suggest just creating the enhancement request yourself, so that you can make describe what exactly you are looking for.   Or if you have purchased licenses, you can call Rational Support and ask them to submit it for you.
The URL for submitting a work item for  RRC is:
https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Requirements%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.newWorkItem

Cheers,
Geoff

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.