It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how the tool determines whether "insert workitem link" to become a link type or a string?

Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | asked May 02 '14, 3:48 a.m.
edited May 06 '14, 4:02 a.m.
In RTC 4.0.x web client, when I insert workitem link within a task/defect description/discussion, if the workitem is from other project area, the inserted link could become a simple string. For example, in formal project management PA, if I add a defect type of workitem from a Scrum PA, it will show as "task xxx" and it is a link and I can see the popup when hovering on it. If it is Epic or Story, then it will show just string "Story xxx" and I won't be able to see the real link to that work item. It seems to be that whether the PA where I insert work item link has the target project area's work item type is the key. Is that how RTC determines whether to inserted workitem link will become a link or not?
If I don't see the inserted work item link working as a link, is there any way I can make it work? (only by adding new work item type)?

We have got report from the users that some link is not stable, that is, it could be link today and then become string only next day after server restarting. I could not reproduce the issue here but want to know what are the keys to determine the inserted workitem link to be a real link and see if we may find some clues from there. Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered May 06 '14, 10:12 p.m.
Hi Don,
For the Eclipse client, you can refer to document https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/LinkDetection, which mentions:
Work item links are created for texts that use one of the work item types of all connected project areas in the logged in repositories, followed by the id of the work item. Additional to the work item type names, the work item type aliases are also matched. The link detector does not ensure that the linked item exists.

However I couldn't find any document for web client. From my observation, if you reference another work item using "work item xxx", the link always works.
But if you use the work item type which does not exist in the current project area, the link can not be detected. This is different to Eclipse client.
Don Yang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Don Yang commented May 06 '14, 10:31 p.m.

Thanks Lily. I will test a bit more in Web client and see how it works as there are other language involved.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.