It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How are users posting follow up questions and answers in the forum?

Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | asked Jul 11 '12, 9:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
How are users posting follow up answers based on a the original poster's reply?

Updating my original answer seems like it might get missed by the original poster but posting another answer seems to be counter to the goal of checking off the correct answer. Using the comment section isn't always feasible because of character limitations as well as the lack of formatting.

Just curious how others are doing this.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Seth Packham (1.4k42213) | answered Jul 11 '12, 10:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It sounds like you're describing a situation where you think you've given the correct answer but then want to improve your answer. In this case, I think you would want to edit your answer. The answer is not just for the benefit of the original poster, but for anyone who might also be looking for this answer. And in most cases, the original poster should get a notification of your edit or additional comments.

The idea is that for most questions, there will be an answer that is the best or the right one, either by seeing what the community votes for or what the original poster chooses.
Karl Weinert selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Karl Weinert commented Jul 12 '12, 10:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks Seth, The specific instance that prompted my post was because I didn't have an answer for the OP but had a number of questions to help narrow it down. In addition I was looking for general Ideas on how others are using the forum.

Bo Chulindra commented Sep 26 '12, 1:07 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I think Seth's answer sounds about right to me. If you post an answer, and someone has a question regarding your answer, then they should "comment" on your answer. You can then reply to their comment with another comment. If your answer changes because of this back and forth, then you can edit your answer (either completely changing it if the original answer was wrong, or keep the original and add an "edited" section with additional edits).

If a new question is asked in the back and forth that is different enough from the original question, then a new forum question should be created to address that.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.