It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to create a a reference list of a Work Item type against another?

Rogerio Agostinho (122) | asked Jul 09 '12, 5:30 p.m.
retagged Jul 10 '12, 1:18 p.m. by Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431)
Hi,

I have 2 work item type (let's call it as WIT_A and WIT_B), on the WIT_B there is a customized attribute named as "wit_a_name". Each time a new WIT_A is created, there is the need to enter to a value on "wit_a_name" field

I need a combo box on WIT_B that will list all the values  values entered on the field "wit_a_name" in WIT_A. Is it possible?

Note: On ClearQuest it is called as "reference".

I do appreciate any help.

Regards.
R.A.

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jul 10 '12, 9:04 a.m.
wouldn't the RTC way be to create a related workitem reference link from the WIT_A object to the related WIT_B object?  

these would then show in the Links section of both workitems as Related.

there is no EASY way to add a listbox of arbitrary data to a workitem presentation on RTC.
there is a 'Workitem List' type, so you could create a new variable, add it to the presentation,
but you would have to create some code to add data to this list.. (course u would have to create code to create links)

you 'might' be able to use an attribute value provider script to calculate the value to add to the list..
Project open, process config, config data, workitems, attribute customization, value providers, new -type=calculated values, subtype=script based .. this supports a small Dojo script to return the value that should be in the field.

Sam

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Jul 10 '12, 1:18 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I would echo Sam's comments: If you are trying to create a relationship between 2 work items, using the "Add Related" functionality of RTC is likely the best way to achieve this linkage. The Select Work Items dialog makes it possible to search other work items via ID or full text and filter on work item type, resolved status, etc. This creates a bi-directional link that can be followed easily from either work item.

If you link items based on a text value in the way you propose, the link would be broken if someone changes the value in the originating work item.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.