It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

what is relation between Access group and Access control in project area

kavita herur (5876894) | asked Aug 11 '17, 9:21 a.m.

HI All,

I want to use Access group feature.  I want to create 2 groups -   A group and AB group.
A group contains  project area PA. and  group AB contains user of other repository and few users from PA kind of collaboration. I added "restrict Access" to work Item editors  in PA project.  Now I want to make only few work tickets should be visible and editable to  AB group from PA project area. I created WT 111 with restrict access with A and WT222 with restrict access with AB.  Now AB group user should not see the WT111  but can see and modify WT222

but then What should be the setting in "Access control" tab of  PA project area?
  As I read in some link project area setting will override all other stuff. 
If I make  read access to "Everyone" in project area PA  then  user of group AB can see and modify everything(WT111 and WT222)
 If I make read access "members of project Hierarchy"  then user of group AB cant even see WT222
Then whats the use of having access group?
 Please let me what should be set to project area level to make use of access group.

2 answers

permanent link
Meena B.R. (5737) | answered Aug 11 '17, 1:48 p.m.

Hi Kavita,

Please find the below information and let me know do you have any further questions.

The Access Groups capability provides a flexible way of grouping users that can expand beyond the team organization structures for the development effort defined by project areas and team areas.

https://jazz.net/library/article/837

access control features to determine who can access a project area and its artifacts, such as work items, streams, and components.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSYMRC_6.0.4/com.ibm.team.concert.tutorial.doc/topics/tut_control_access_intro.html

Regards,
Arun.

Comments
kavita herur commented Aug 11 '17, 1:56 p.m.

Hi Meena,

I have gone through the https://jazz.net/library/article/837  link but project ares access control settings are blocking/overriding whatever I define with access group.  So I just want to know what should be the access control tab of project area should be set to use access group.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 13 '17, 4:17 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

My understanding is that the read permission of the owning project area are "AND"ed with the read permission of the access group specified by the restricted access of a work item.   So if you want someone to be able to read a given work item, they must both have read access to the project area and must be member of the access group for that work item.

Is this not what you are seeing?   Please be explicit about what the access control is for the owning project area, and what the access group contains.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.