It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Running SCM list command causes "request-URI too large: error

Michael Hart (4612) | asked Sep 17 '13, 11:05 p.m.
retagged Sep 30 '13, 9:57 a.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)
My client recently upgraded from RTC3 to RTC4 and I am validating scripts I've written to fetch source code still works. However, this particular command that used to work:
./scm.sh list components -r repositoryurl --snapshot mysnapshot
Returns this result:
Service failed to communicate with repository repositoryurl: CRJAZ0098E The com.ibm.team.scm.common.rest.IScmRichClientRestService{/ccm/service/com.ibm.team.scm.common.test.IScmRichClientRestService} service failed. The server returned the HTTP error 414 with this error text: Request-URI Too Large.

Might this be configuration related, or is this a known problem in RTC4?

Comments
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Sep 18 '13, 3:07 a.m.

Hello Michael,
We had similar error message when opening cross project plan: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=244995.

Three questions:
1. What is exactly your RTC 4 version?
2. How many components you would expect to be displayed?
3. Do you have proxy server between client and server?

Michael Hart commented Sep 18 '13, 7:49 p.m.

Hello,
1. RTC 4.0.3
2. At this point we have 200 components on streams.
3. Yes.

Matt Lennon commented Sep 18 '13, 8:50 p.m. | edited Sep 19 '13, 2:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Michael.

Do the RTC server logs (ccm.log, SystemOut.log, etc.) or the proxy logs (IHS or Apache) have any log entries that provide more information about the offending request?

-Matt

Accepted answer

permanent link
Michael Hart (4612) | answered Sep 25 '13, 9:11 p.m.
Hi Matt,
Apologies for delay. I don't have access to the RTC server on my project, however I raised the problem with them to investigate and this has been resolved.
For reference, there is a setting  called “LimitRequestLine” that sets the size of the URL that IHS will accept.  By default it is 8190. The URL length was increased on the IHS server and I now get my list of components.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Rob Logie commented Oct 01 '13, 9:31 p.m.

Does anyone know what value "LimitRequestLine” should be increased to so that this problem does not occur ?  

vikrant kamble commented Aug 06 '18, 3:14 a.m.

Hello Micheal,

Solution to the problem is to increase value of "LimitRequestLine" but is there any logic behind increasing value, what I mean here is we have to increase value but can we select any random number like initially it is 8190 so I can change it to 10000 or 11998 etc? 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.