It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM: Add shared resource from Windows to RQM server on Linux?

Frank Ning (50025119133) | asked Jun 20 '12, 6:25 a.m.

Hello,

Did anyone use JTS/RQM server on Linux and add shared resources from Windows to the RQM project?

For example, the test scripts of Rational Functional Tester are located on a Windows box with share \\hostname\project_name, how can we add this resource to the RQM project which use JTS/RQM server on Linux? Do we have to install NFS server on Windows and do the NFS export/mount?

Thanks and Regards

Frank

Comments
Sean Lee-Loy commented Feb 04 '13, 8:46 p.m.

So on our Jazz RQM server (Linux box) I used mount command where our mount point was /QA from a windows box. I saw the shared resource on the RQM server and able to import testscripts from that location.   Also when importing a RFT VB .NET test script from that shared , it showed up as:

Shared Resource Location:     /QA

Relative Script Path:  RQ_AR_0023/ART_0023_AP02_EP10.vb 

However when we tried to execute through RQM testcase the RFT Adapter on the windows test machine:

Received the execution request /QA/RQ_AR_0023/ART_0023_AP02_EP10.vb projectnotfound

However on Jazz RQM Server on Windows box:  I'm able to create a shared location

>\\<IP>\QA\RQ_AR_0023\ART_0023_AP02_EP10.vb   and successfully run the test script

Difference being the way RQM sends the execution request from the shared resource location defined on Linux vs. Windows box

2 answers

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Jun 20 '12, 10:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The way to do it is to mount the windows share using smb (the protocol used for windows share). This article gives an example of mounting a windows share on to a linux file system:

If that doesn't work, another way to mount a windows share on linux is via Samba's smbmount command

Once the windows share is mounted, it appears in the local filesystem structure of linux.  If your mount point is /mnt/win, then that is the location that you would configure RQM to use as the share location.  To RQM this will appear as a local directory and will work via shared resource locations.

Here is an example command for RHEL 6 machine.
mount -t cifs //machinename/tneal -o username=userid,password=XXXXXX /mnt/WinShare

Note that if you need to use domain id/password then specify the username in the form id@domain.  Also note that the mount(8) command usually requires root(super-user) access to execute.  After the above command is executed you can access the files in the Windows share via /mnt/WinShare (or whatever directory you specify).

Thanks Kurtis and Tom to help me compile this answer.

Comments
Frank Ning commented Jun 20 '12, 3:45 p.m.

Thanks for the tip, Pramod.

Frank Ning commented Nov 27 '12, 3:23 p.m.

Hi Pramod,

Sorry, I have some more questions.

Suppose I mounted the Windows share as /path on Linux where the RQM server is sitting, based on my understanding, I need to configure the shared resource in RQM as /path.

Now the testing scripts need to run on Windows through the related adapter. Will the above resource definition work in this case? If not, how could we solve this (RQM server on Linux and testing machines on Windows)?

permanent link
Frank Ning (50025119133) | answered Apr 24 '13, 9:59 p.m.
There are two things to do:

1) Use CIFS to mount the Windows share on Linux
2) If you are using CLM 4.0.2 and IBM HTTPS as reverse proxy server with WAS , obtain the fix for PMR "77033,057,649" to patch. The CLM 4.0.3 should contain the fix.

My servers are now OK with shared resources from Windows.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.