It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Need to restrict specific work item edits AFTER creation

Robert Huet (23113984) | asked Apr 04 '12, 3:11 p.m.
My customer wants their Stakeholders to be able to create/submit new work items, but, once submitted, they should only be able to add comments and file attachments (no other edits).

Can this be accomplished with out-of-the-box configuration? I am not finding a way to do that. If not, can this capability be customized?

Thanks,
Robert

3 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 05 '12, 12:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RTC 4.0, the permission to create a work item is separate from the permission to add comments and the permission to add an attachment, so you can control them all independently. I think this has been the case for a while, but you can check the permissions provided in your RTC version.

Cheers,
Geoff

My customer wants their Stakeholders to be able to create/submit new work items, but, once submitted, they should only be able to add comments and file attachments (no other edits).

Can this be accomplished with out-of-the-box configuration? I am not finding a way to do that. If not, can this capability be customized?

Thanks,
Robert

permanent link
Robert Huet (23113984) | answered Apr 05 '12, 10:04 a.m.
In RTC 3.0.2, the permission to create a work item is separate, but when the new, uninitialized work item is saved, it uses the "Modify the work item" permissions to determine what attributes can be saved. So if you give a user the permission to create, but don't give him permission to modify at least all the required attributes, they will not be able to create the work item because they won't be able to save it.

Has this changed in 4.0, to where Create and Modify are truly independent?

In RTC 4.0, the permission to create a work item is separate from the permission to add comments and the permission to add an attachment, so you can control them all independently. I think this has been the case for a while, but you can check the permissions provided in your RTC version.

Cheers,
Geoff

Thanks,
Robert

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 06 '12, 3:45 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This requirement is still the case in 4.0. But note that it is not all the required attributes that need to be modifiable, but rather just the uninitialized required attributes. So for example, commonly only the Summary and Filed-Against fields must be modifiable. Also, one must have the "initialize state" permission.

Cheers,
Geoff

In RTC 3.0.2, the permission to create a work item is separate, but when the new, uninitialized work item is saved, it uses the "Modify the work item" permissions to determine what attributes can be saved. So if you give a user the permission to create, but don't give him permission to modify at least all the required attributes, they will not be able to create the work item because they won't be able to save it.

Has this changed in 4.0, to where Create and Modify are truly independent?

Cheers,
Geoff

Thanks,
Robert

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.