It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

upper / lower case when inviting / registering members

John Schilt (6111822) | asked Mar 11 '12, 8:49 p.m.
Hi,

I was asked the following question from one of our students in Australia :

We have noticed that registration appears to be case-sensitive.
For example, an Project invitation sent to christine@email.com is not matched to Christine@email.com

So, when accepting an invitation an error pops up saying "you are not authorised to view the invitation", hence newly registered members do not gain access to the project space.

Similarly for tags - @jazzid does not correctly pickup @JazzID
Is anybody else having the same issues as me? (I'm running IE 9)

Thanks,
Christine

Is this the case ? is there a best practice (ie, use only lower case) when inviting folks to join a project ?

John

3 answers

permanent link
Brian Schimpf (27611514) | answered Mar 12 '12, 12:27 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

For example, an Project invitation sent to christine@email.com is not matched to Christine@email.com

So, when accepting an invitation an error pops up saying "you are not authorised to view the invitation", hence newly registered members do not gain access to the project space.

Thanks,
Christine

Is this the case ? is there a best practice (ie, use only lower case) when inviting folks to join a project ?

John

Hi, John,

It is true that the processing of project invitations is case sensitive so the behavior you're seeing is expected, i.e., christine@email.com is not considered the same as Christine@email.com. If the user community thinks this should be case insensitive we can consider that change. For the time being making everything lower case would be a reasonable best practice.

Thanks!

Brian

permanent link
John Schilt (6111822) | answered Mar 12 '12, 5:51 p.m.
Hi,

Thanks,
Christine

John

Hi, John,

It is true that the processing of project invitations is case sensitive so the behavior you're seeing is expected, i.e., christine@email.com is not considered the same as Christine@email.com. If the user community thinks this should be case insensitive we can consider that change. For the time being making everything lower case would be a reasonable best practice.

Thanks!

Brian

Thanks Brian

The feedback I get is that the students have had many issues with the case sensitivity of email addresses and Jazz ID's... to the point where they are very frustrated. Given that most email systems are typically not case sensitive, they have suggested that JazzHub also uses case insinsitive email addresses.

John

permanent link
Brian Schimpf (27611514) | answered Mar 13 '12, 2:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Thanks,
Christine

John

Hi, John,

Thanks!

Brian

Thanks Brian

The feedback I get is that the students have had many issues with the case sensitivity of email addresses and Jazz ID's... to the point where they are very frustrated. Given that most email systems are typically not case sensitive, they have suggested that JazzHub also uses case insinsitive email addresses.

John

Thanks, John. We've opened a workitem to make this change. I don't have an estimate at this time as to when that can happen.

Brian

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.