It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to avoid work items to be mixed between two build definitions that use different workspaces but common stream?

Mangirish Wagle (534) | asked Aug 02 '12, 8:36 a.m.
I have a code stream "Main Development Stream" which has components say:-
  • component 1
  • common component
  • component 2
Now I have got two RTC Build definitions, namely "Main Build Definition" and "Common Build Definition" using two separate RTC build workspaces "Main Build Definition Workspace" and "Common Build Definition Workspace".

Main Build Definition needs to build code in component 1 and component 2 whereas Common Build Definition needs code only from common component.

Below are my expectations:-
  1. Work Items populated in "Main Build Definition" build result as well as the build comparison should show the work items for which the code has been delivered to component 1 and component 2 only, and NOT common component.
  2. Work Items populated in "Common Build Definition" build result as well as the build comparison should show the work items for which the code has been delivered to common component only and NOT component 1 and component 2.
What I actually observe is, the work items populated in the build result and build comparison are for all components mixed.

Please note I want to make the two builds completely independent of each other, and should not mix work items .

I tried the 'Components to exclude' option to exclude components in the build definitions, but it did not seem to have any effect.
I also tried creating "Common Build Definition Workspace" by including just the common component, but the RTC refreshes and accepts other components automatically when we request a new build.

Any pointers to achieve what I want, would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Aug 03 '12, 1:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Open "Common Build Definition Workspace" in an editor.  Remove Component 1 and Component 2 from the list of components.  In the Flow Targets section near the bottom of the editor, click on the flow target for the stream.  Click the Edit button.  Select "Flow only components checked below."  Select only Common Component.  Click OK to close the dialog and click Save to save the changes to the repository workspace.

Repeat these steps for "Main Build Definition Workspace," but remove Common Component and flow with Component 1 and Component 2.

Editing the flow target in this way will keep RTC from adding the components back into the workspace when you run a build.

-- David Olsen, IBM Rational, Jazz Process Team
Mangirish Wagle selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mangirish Wagle commented Aug 07 '12, 4:36 a.m.

Thanks David! This solved all the issues...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.