It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

MS Project Plan import issue

Qaiser Islam (31287074) | asked Feb 17 '12, 8:29 a.m.
When i import MS Project Plan into RTC, all the work items are created properly but the schedule is totally messed up. i have to spent significant amount of time to correct the schedule using constraints etc.Furthermore if some tasks are in back dates (previous than current date), rtc starts all such tasks with current date.

i am using rtc 3.0.1 and ms project 2010 and rtc template is formal project management..

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 20 '12, 8:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, which option did you select during the import? There are options to select if you want to keep the start and end date from the XML etc.

I am not sure that will fix all your issues. I assume the planning component will always calculates the tasks start and end dates. Once the tasks are imported, I assume the scheduler will calculate the start and end date of tasks. I am not sure that importing and keeping a plan as it was in the external planning tool is a use case that was considered during development.

permanent link
Qaiser Islam (31287074) | answered Feb 20 '12, 8:28 a.m.
Hi, which option did you select during the import? There are options to select if you want to keep the start and end date from the XML etc.

I am not sure that will fix all your issues. I assume the planning component will always calculates the tasks start and end dates. Once the tasks are imported, I assume the scheduler will calculate the start and end date of tasks. I am not sure that importing and keeping a plan as it was in the external planning tool is a use case that was considered during development.

i have tried all 3 options but no one worked..our client is interested in seeing the start and end date of task as it is in mpp..but unfortunately this thing is not working..

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 20 '12, 8:41 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

i have tried all 3 options but no one worked..our client is interested in seeing the start and end date of task as it is in mpp..but unfortunately this thing is not working..

My understanding is that the import is really to get the tasks into the plan. I don't think it was ever considered that the start and end times go in there as well. The plan calculates that based on the project data. I would consider it as works as designed. You could create a work item with your use case, however.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.