It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Lost the ability to sync fields in work items - need it back

Nigel Hopper (1032625) | asked Feb 03 '12, 12:17 p.m.
Hi

I'm an RTC administrator and get asked to make changes to work items.

If I add a field to a work item, when I'm ready for all work items to pick it up, I run a query to list all the work items.

I then select them all and right click on the work item icon and I am able to select "Synchronize Attributes" and it will run through all the work items and pick up the changes.

Some time in the last ??? months, Synchronize Attributes no longer appears for me to select. I seem to have all the correct permissions as one of my colleagues who can do this.

Suggestions as to a solution gratefully received

6 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Feb 07 '12, 5:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Nigel,

that sounds odd, I think the context menu does not look at the permission, so the action should show up. The action only shows up on the icon of the type displayed in the query. Can you recheck you display the type and the action does not come up? You could try and install a new client in parallel and try if it works there, which would point to an issue with the client install.

permanent link
Nigel Hopper (1032625) | answered Feb 07 '12, 6:13 a.m.
Hi Ralph

Since I originally wrote this I have a little more information. It must be server specific and how my ID is set up on there.

Only one of the servers does "Synchronise Attributes" not appear in this way. For all of the other RTC projects on all the other servers, I have no problem, so it is not the client.

It is only for the RTC projects on the server I mainly work with, does this ability seem to have been lost.

So it is not project related and not client related. So that also rules out roles and permissions as that is project level.

I have asked our server administrators to compare my ID on the problem server with one of the good ones I have access to.

Very strange! Thanks, Nigel

permanent link
Milan Krivic (98013176143) | answered Feb 07 '12, 4:01 p.m.
Hi Ralph

Since I originally wrote this I have a little more information. It must be server specific and how my ID is set up on there.

Only one of the servers does "Synchronise Attributes" not appear in this way. For all of the other RTC projects on all the other servers, I have no problem, so it is not the client.

It is only for the RTC projects on the server I mainly work with, does this ability seem to have been lost.

So it is not project related and not client related. So that also rules out roles and permissions as that is project level.

I have asked our server administrators to compare my ID on the problem server with one of the good ones I have access to.

I met also this situation. I couldn't see the work item type column where I needed to choose "Synchronise Attributes". I opened a new eclipse workspace, re-run wi query, and got all needed to Synchronise Attributes. You can try this.

Regards,

Very strange! Thanks, Nigel

permanent link
Nigel Hopper (1032625) | answered Feb 08 '12, 6:43 a.m.
Hi Ralph

I have the solution. Clear the security cache on the server for my ID. Over the last few years we have had a number of people not able to log into the Jazz server. To 'fix' this, we would ask them to try and log in with an incorrect password. My understanding is that this forces the security cache to be flushed so that when you log in correctly, it is refreshed with the correct settings and all should be working.

This is the first time that we have come across a user losing this type of function for this reason.

Anyway, the important thing is that it worked and I can "synchronise attributes" again.

Thanks, Nigel.

permanent link
Nigel Hopper (1032625) | answered Mar 15 '12, 6:09 a.m.
Seems I was incorrect, nothing to do with the security cache.

To synchronise attributes in the Eclipse client:

- List them in the work item view (from a query)
- Select them all (Select 1 and Ctl-A)
-- Not all might be listed in a single query as thousands could be returned
- Right-click on the Type column (The column with icons)
- Select Synchronise Attributes

The problem I had was that the Icon column (Type Column) was no longer visible in the client and it was really not obvious that is was missing and this was specific to this column.

I am aware that the context menu does vary on right-clicking different columns, but not that this was causing this issue.

Any way resolved, hope this is of use to others. Nigel

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Mar 15 '12, 7:23 a.m.
Hi Nigel,

yes, the "Synchronize Attributes" menu item is only available on the type icon column.

Good you found it.

Comments
Prasad Mandre commented Feb 11 '13, 8:05 a.m.

IS Synchronize Attributes menu item avialable in RTC Web Client. I tried to syncronize using web client but I couldnt find this option when I Right click on Type column.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 11 '13, 8:10 a.m. | edited Feb 11 '13, 8:11 a.m.

This feature is only available in the Eclipse client as far as I can tell. See https://jazz.net/library/article/529

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.