It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Difference between Link To and Link From

Michael Bunnell (6821819) | asked Jun 26 '13, 11:15 a.m.
I had someone ask me what I thought was an easy question yesterday, but after thinking about it a bit more, it actually stumped me.  Lets say I have a main requirement, and two sub requirements, doesn't really matter their types.  When I go into the main requirement, in the links section, I can create a Linked To, or I can create a Linked From.  What is the general rule of when I should use one over the other?

Thanks

Mike

2 answers

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Jun 26 '13, 11:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Mike,

As far as I know, the original concept of Link To/From arose through content-based links in the early days of RRC v2. Whenever an artifact contained a link to another artifact within its primary content, the Link direction had a clear meaning - the main artifact was "Linked To" any other artifacts which were "Linked From" the content of the main artifact (make sense?). I think nowadays since you can create a link through an editor by specifying both of the endpoints (i.e. "traceable" links as opposed to content-based links) then the directionality of Link To/From doesn't make that much of a difference. 

I know this was a bit of a long-winded answer, but I hope it helps.

Mike Jaworski

permanent link
Erwin Kunz (94686986) | answered Jun 27 '13, 6:07 a.m.
Hi Mike

For such kind of break down I would use Parent of / Child of link or like we did a custom Link Type.

eg we use Business Requirement and break them down in Detail Requirement
The link type is Detail Req/Business Req
This is very nice because if you look at the Business Requirement yo  see the link as Detail Req. So you exactly know that  this are breakdown.

Link to / Link from is in my opinion to be used as Related.

erwin

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.