It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can users with no license create work items via RTC web UI?

Alan Kan (6111310) | asked Jul 23 '08, 7:44 p.m.
Can someone tell me whether users with no license can create work items (e.g. submit a defect) via the web UI of RTC? Thinking of scenarios such as allowing a customer to access web UI to submit and track defects.

Also can I customise the web UI so that customers will see less fields than internal staff when they create/view a work item? e.g. they can't assign priority to a work item.

Many thanks,
Alan

5 answers

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Jul 23 '08, 8:12 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There must be a way to restrict fields, at least, even if you can't hide them. I just tried to add a defect to the Jazz site, specifying most of the available fields and it complained that:

Permission Denied. You don't have permission to perform the following actions: Modify the work item's owner (modify/owner) Modify the work item's 'Planned For' attribute (modify/target) Modify the work item's estimate (modify/duration) Modify the work item's 'Due Date' attribute (modify/dueDate) Modify the work item's priority (modify/priority).

You might not even want to hide the fields since it may be useful for the guest to see the values even if they cannot modify them. Hopefully someone will chime in with where we'd make those permission changes.

As to the license thing, I did a quick experiment and added a "guest" user to my repsitory with a Contributor license. The user was able to add Work items. I then took the license away and the "guest" user could see work items, but could not add them any more (Missing required license. Your license doesn't currently allow you to perform the 'Save Work Item' operation.)

Which raises an interesting question: with the thousands of users at the jazz.net site, how is it we all can make work items if there are only 250 licenses available?

permanent link
Alan Kan (6111310) | answered Jul 23 '08, 8:34 p.m.
Thanks Millarde. Exactly what I thought - I understand contributor license will give users ability to create a work item. But we all seem to be creating work items on jazz.net without the need for a license. Hence the question.

permanent link
Matt Lavin (2.7k2) | answered Jul 24 '08, 8:38 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Users of jazz.net do have licenses assigned. Everybody with a jazz.net
account as a Contributor license. To support the jazz.net environment
(more than 250 contributors) we created a custom license that allows
more than 250 users.

Now, that might seem like cheating the system a bit, but we are using
jazz.net as a good test of the scalability of the Jazz Team Server.
Also, while scaling up to a very large number of users (more than 250)
has not been thoroughly tested for general use, jazz.net does have the
advantage of being supported directly by the development team of Jazz =).

alankan wrote:
Thanks Millarde. Exactly what I thought - I understand contributor
license will give users ability to create a work item. But we all
seem to be creating work items on jazz.net without the need for a
license. Hence the question.

permanent link
Anton Piatek (3196) | answered Jul 30 '08, 9:20 a.m.
What does your process look like then?
I would like to allow users to be able to open defects only, but I am fiding it hard to lock down the jazz process options so that default users can only open a defect, and not change the subject or text of existing ones

permanent link
Christof Marti (681) | answered Jul 31 '08, 3:46 a.m.
As you probably know you can restrict the 'default' role to only be able to create defects, but you cannot allow it to set a summary/description on new work items and at the same time disallow changing summaries/descriptions of existing work items because these are covered by the same permissions.

Depending on your requirements you could try the following:
- disallow changing summary/description by the 'default' role in general
- have a team area for a 'triage team' that assigns the Filed Against category of incoming defects
- allow changing summary/description by the 'default' role in the triage team area
- make the triage team area the default team area for the root category on the Work Item Categories page of the project area editor

Users with only the 'default' role could then create defects with Filed Against set to Unassigned which will make the defect belong to the triage team area. Once the triage team has assigned a Filed Against category to such a defect the team area would change and the more restrictive permissions would take effect. Let us know if that works for you if you get a chance to try it.

Regards,

Christof
Jazz Work Item team

antonpiatek wrote:
What does your process look like then?
I would like to allow users to be able to open defects only, but I am
fiding it hard to lock down the jazz process options so that default
users can only open a defect, and not change the subject or text of
existing ones

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.