It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Difference between "Create and link" and "Cre

Eduardo Mylonas da Silva (23422519) | asked Nov 16 '11, 3:17 p.m.
When I'm inside an rich- text artifact, I can "Create Link" and "Insert Artifact". In both, I have to browse to an existing artifact and the result is that the tile of the other artifact is embedded inside the original artifact. So what is the difference?

Plus, why do I have to "Create Matching Link" in order to create a link if I believe i have already taken the action to do so? So whay do I have to do it again?

Thank you

3 answers

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Nov 16 '11, 9:35 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When I'm inside an rich- text artifact, I can "Create Link" and "Insert Artifact". In both, I have to browse to an existing artifact and the result is that the tile of the other artifact is embedded inside the original artifact. So what is the difference?

Plus, why do I have to "Create Matching Link" in order to create a link if I believe i have already taken the action to do so? So whay do I have to do it again?

Thank you

In V3.0.1, when you insert an artifact it "embeds" the artifact and creates a link. The link can either be a trace link or a content link.

Trace links appear in the sidebar and has one of the system or custom defined link types. Content links do not appear in the side bar.

Creating a matching link allows you to change a content link into a trace link.

It is also possible just to create a link to another artifact, which does not embed the contents of the linked artifact.

The help provides this information

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_link_artifacts.html

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_work_links.html

permanent link
Eduardo Mylonas da Silva (23422519) | answered Nov 17 '11, 6:35 a.m.

Thank you

In V3.0.1, when you insert an artifact it "embeds" the artifact and creates a link. The link can either be a trace link or a content link.

Trace links appear in the sidebar and has one of the system or custom defined link types. Content links do not appear in the side bar.

It is also possible just to create a link to another artifact, which does not embed the contents of the linked artifact.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_link_artifacts.html

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_work_links.html

Thank you for the response, Robin.

Now I understand the difference. Inserting an artifact is the "Embed artifact" function from earlier versions that I was looking for.

The only thing that I noticed though is that in neither case (inserting an artifact or creating a link), an actual link is created in the Links Section. If I want a trace link to be created in the Links section and view it in the traceability tree view, I must "Create Matching Trace Link" in both cases.

Thank you

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Nov 17 '11, 11:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thank you

Thank you for the response, Robin.

Now I understand the difference. Inserting an artifact is the "Embed artifact" function from earlier versions that I was looking for.

The only thing that I noticed though is that in neither case (inserting an artifact or creating a link), an actual link is created in the Links Section. If I want a trace link to be created in the Links section and view it in the traceability tree view, I must "Create Matching Trace Link" in both cases.

Thank you

In V3.0.1.1. there are several ways to create links, one is to right click in the content area, and choose "add link" this will create a link based upon the defaults which is "No traceability link" - change this default at the top of the dialogue.

The same dialogue is presented if you use the editor toolbar button "Add link (CTRL + L).

Another way is to use the "Insert Artifact" action, once again change the dialogue link type from the "No Traceability Link" default at the top, to the desired link type.

Now if you use the "Save Selection As New Artifact and Insert" to create a new embedded artifact, from selected content, the default link type is Extracted.

So depending upon which button you use you might need to change the default link type.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.