It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Formating of text entry - e.g. Closeout document

Michael Grimsdale (6) | asked Nov 15 '11, 3:04 a.m.
background:
We have allways problem in finding information within a text field, and would like within DOORS Next a facilty to "break down" text entries.
An example is a closeout document reference which can contain:
Document identification number
Document title
Document Author
Document issue status
Document paragraph Reference

At present this is entered as a text field, making it difficult, if not impossible, to control data entry, thus it is not posible to filter the information for a final document content.
Some documents, for example a Verification Report, may only need the Document identification Number, others the full or a different combination.
What is considered to be needed:
To sub-format a text field to include under a heading seperate fields (columns) that allow the full infomation to be entered. This entry by means of manual keybord or an import from Company Configuration Management database (future).
example format (Excel)
Closeout Document Reference (Main Heading)
Doc. No. Issue Title Responsible(Sub Column Headings)
BC-RP-AST-00039 6 Satellite Environmental Test Report Sat Team Para 3.4.6 (Data Entries)
(Sorry cut and paste from Excel did not work, hope you can understand)
The Heading " Closeout document Reference " is the centered over the sub text fields.
As available within Excel
Would this be possible?

3 answers

permanent link
Alex Elrick (6) | answered Nov 17 '11, 4:03 a.m.
Are you asking to be allowed to choose to center, left align or right align the text in column headings or is it something more configurable than that?

permanent link
Michael Grimsdale (6) | answered Nov 17 '11, 8:31 a.m.
Are you asking to be allowed to choose to center, left align or right align the text in column headings or is it something more configurable than that?

More than that, essentially one group attribute that contains sub attributes. Think of it as within Excel when you group columns by having a header over more than one column. This makes finding a documnt number possible, at present with a text field it is almost impossible to find where the title is.

permanent link
Akilah Jones (10654) | answered Dec 19 '11, 9:43 p.m.
Jazzatmike

If I understand you correctly, then what I would suggest doing is making a corresponding object attribute for each of the would-be "sub-attributes"

The object heading would contain the "heading" information and the attributes would contain the individual data.

If you think about it, the doors attributes ARE sorta "sub-attributes" of each object in DOORS. Every object has a number of attributes associated withih it...

On the other hand, if you just want document info for each DOORS document (formal module), then I would create a corresponding module attribute for each of the would-be "sub-attributes"

I hope that helps

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.