It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migrating RTF table in DOORS to DNG and all table structure is lost

Bob 3 (1482068) | asked Jul 29 '18, 4:45 p.m.
edited Jul 29 '18, 6:49 p.m.
Running DOORS classic v9.6.1.11 and DNG v6.0.5 iFix004
I have an RTF table embedded in the Object Text of a DOORS classic object. My goal is to migrate this RTF table to DNG and have it remain an embedded RTF table; NOT a two-dimensional array of individual artifacts.
When I migrate the RTF table to DNG, all table structure is lost:

I tried embedding the RTF table in the DOORS object as an OLE instead of natively in the Object Text:
And it completely disappears in DNG:

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Edit:
After additional troubleshooting, I have developed a fairly comprehensive comparison of the table representation in DOORS classic versus how it migrates to DNG:

5 answers

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k252162) | answered Jul 30 '18, 10:03 a.m.
>>I tried embedding the RTF table in the DOORS object as an OLE instead of natively in the Object Text:

Native RTF will never come across I think.

The OLE embed would be the only way I think it could succeed.

It looks like 3 of the tables came across OK in your screenshot so were they OLE?

Manually saving the tables as Word Docs and embedding them directly in DNG seems like less work than doing it in DOORS and then migrating so why not move the tables to DNG as OLE objects manually?

Comments
Bob 3 commented Jul 30 '18, 4:45 p.m.

Hey Sean, thanks for your response.

Yes, the table migrations that "worked" were OLEs and what you see on the DNG side are graphical images and not interactive data. This doesn't meet my requirements. 
The tables in DOORS are actually DOORS tables that have been converted to RTF. I could leave these tables as DOORS tables if there were a way to cause the DNG migration tool to import them as a singular artifact and not as a two-dimensional array of artifacts. Any thoughts on this?

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k252162) | answered Jul 31 '18, 1:13 p.m.
I am a bit confused.

Are you saying the tables are DOORS tables in the original data but you have a copy of the data where you have converted these DOORS tables to RTF?

Are you saying that you also have a copy in DOORS with the DOORS tables converted to embedded OLE and that these come across as pictures when you use the DOORS data migration process?

RTF tables in DOORS will definitely be a non-starter for migrating.

OLE tables should come across as Word artifacts I think but if they don't and you don't have many then you could save them as Word docs and re-embed them manually in DNG.

Are you using standard ReqIF or the DOORS migration tool?

Comments
Bob 3 commented Aug 01 '18, 1:06 p.m.

Sean, the original data in DOORS is DOORS tables. I converted them to RTF tables in an effort to cause them to migrate to DNG as singular artifacts instead of a two-dimensional array of artifacts. Then I ran into the RTF table structure loss problem upon migration to DNG. (I am using the migration feature, not ReqIF.)

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k252162) | answered Aug 01 '18, 2:00 p.m.
RTF will definitely not work.

This link suggests what I suggested about saving as Word docs and remebedding in DNG

But Ian in the development labs says that Migration now support DOORS native tables and converts them to

Did you try migrating the native DOORS tables as is?

Comments
Bob 3 commented Aug 01 '18, 2:47 p.m.

Sean, my preference would be to migrate normal DOORS tables to DNG as singular artifacts, not two-dimensional arrays of artifacts. The reason I was walking down the RTF table path was in an attempt to get DNG to see the table as a singular artifact. 

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k252162) | answered Aug 02 '18, 1:42 a.m.
Hi Bob,

In Ian's post which I linked to he says:-

'This functionality is now available for migration from DOORS to DOORS Next Generation.  DOORS tables are migrated into true tables in Next Gen's primary text.'

Have you tried migratng the native DOORS tables as they are?

Comments
Bob 3 commented Aug 02 '18, 12:01 p.m.

Sean, yes I did migrate the DOORS tables and they come into DNG as two-dimensional arrays of artifacts. What I really need is for the DOORS tables to come into DNG as a single artifact

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k252162) | answered Aug 02 '18, 1:43 p.m.
Ian from the development lab in his comment on the other thread says that a DOORS table should come in as a single artifact. If that is correct and your tables are coming in as multiple artifacts then it may be a defect with the migration tool.

Maybe raise a ticket with support to check.

As a workaround the suggested solution in the linked article above is to export the tables as separate Word docs and upload each one manually into DNG.

Not very elegant but maybe an option if you don't have a lot of tables.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.