It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Assigning Test Cases and Test Suites to execute

Matt Beaty (811615) | asked Aug 01 '11, 4:10 p.m.
What is the best way to assign test cases and test suites for analysts to execute?
We have a team of 10 or so who need to know what to execute and how long they will take. How is this best done?

4 answers

permanent link
John Nason (2.4k1012) | answered Aug 01 '11, 4:35 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
RQM tracks test execution ownership and configuration through a concept called a "Test Execution Record" (TER for short). RQM 3.0.1 adds "Test Suite Execution Record".
You may have a Test Case and Script to "Validate Web Application Login". You may then need to test that against both Internet Explorer and Firefox. In this scenario, you'd have 2 Test Execution Records for "Validate Web Application Login" - one with a Test Environment of "Internet Explorer" and another with a Test Environment of "Firefox". You can then assign those TERs to individual testers to run. TERs are also linked to Test Milestones or Iterations that are defined in your Test Plan so the TERs are really the central planning asset when it comes to ownership, when to run a test, and how to run it.
More background: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_add_ter.html

permanent link
John Nason (2.4k1012) | answered Aug 01 '11, 4:51 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Realized I missed the second part of your question "how long?".
Test Cases can have a weight associated with them. This is a numerical value used to represent the complexity of the test. It is up to your organization to define and agree to a convention - i.e. 1 pt = 1 hour, etc. TERs inherit the weight of their Test Case, and you can override the value (for instance, running on Internet Explorer takes 1.5 times as long as Firefox).
Reference: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_add_weight.html

permanent link
Matt Beaty (811615) | answered Aug 02 '11, 10:11 a.m.
So as of now, there is no traditional schedule available where a manager can go ahead and centralize all of this information?

Realized I missed the second part of your question "how long?".
Test Cases can have a weight associated with them. This is a numerical value used to represent the complexity of the test. It is up to your organization to define and agree to a convention - i.e. 1 pt = 1 hour, etc. TERs inherit the weight of their Test Case, and you can override the value (for instance, running on Internet Explorer takes 1.5 times as long as Firefox).
Reference: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_add_weight.html

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Aug 04 '11, 1:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Matt,
What kind of information you are looking for as centralized.
I may help you if you explain your question little more.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.