It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Importing From Excel: Making Test Case = Test Script

Laurie Salopek (111) | asked Jun 23 '11, 8:16 a.m.
We need to import over a thousand test cases from Testopia to RQM. Since Testopia does not distinguish between 'Test Cases' and 'Test Scripts', we would like to make each line in our excel spreadsheet both a Test Case and a Test Script (and link them together).

Everytime I try a new mapping the results are the same, the first row is used as a Test Case and all the remaining rows are used as Test Scripts to the Test Case. I've place multiple new XLSDelimeters in the mapping to no affect.

What am I doing wrong?

//--- Test Script
testscript.XLSStartRow=2

testscript.scripttype="Manual"
testscript.steps.type="execution"
testscript.alm:state="Approved"

testscript.title=A
testscript.dc:description=B
testscript.steps.description=E
testscript.steps.expectedResult=F

//--- Test Case
testcase.identifier=testscript.title
testcase.dc:title=testscript.dc:description
testcase.dc:description=testscript.dc:description

testcase.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.testCasePreCondition","RQM-KEY-TC-PRE-COND-TITLE")=C
testcase.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.testCaseDesign","RQM-KEY-TC-DESIGN-TITLE")=testscript.steps.description
testcase.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.testCaseExpectedResults","RQM-KEY-TC-EXPECTED-RESULTS-TITLE")=testscript.steps.expectedResult

testcase.category term="Category".value=L
testcase.jzalm:owner=I

testcase.XLSDelimeter=\n

testcase.XLSLink=testscript

-Laurie

5 answers

permanent link
tina fusari (3643) | answered Jun 23 '11, 9:42 a.m.
Try placing the following as the first line for the Test Cases section:

testcase.XLSStartRow=2

We need to import over a thousand test cases from Testopia to RQM. Since Testopia does not distinguish between 'Test Cases' and 'Test Scripts', we would like to make each line in our excel spreadsheet both a Test Case and a Test Script (and link them together).

Everytime I try a new mapping the results are the same, the first row is used as a Test Case and all the remaining rows are used as Test Scripts to the Test Case. I've place multiple new XLSDelimeters in the mapping to no affect.

What am I doing wrong?

//--- Test Script
testscript.XLSStartRow=2

testscript.title=A

//--- Test Case

testcase.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.testCasePreCondition","RQM-KEY-TC-PRE-COND-TITLE")=C
testcase.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.testCaseDesign","RQM-KEY-TC-DESIGN-TITLE")=testscript.steps.description
testcase.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.testCaseExpectedResults","RQM-KEY-TC-EXPECTED-RESULTS-TITLE")=testscript.steps.expectedResult

testcase.XLSDelimeter=\n

-Laurie

permanent link
Laurie Salopek (111) | answered Jun 23 '11, 9:51 a.m.
Try placing the following as the first line for the Test Cases section:

testcase.XLSStartRow=2

It made no difference. The first row is still viewed as the Test Case and the remaining rows are linked as Test Scripts.

-Laurie

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Jun 24 '11, 8:31 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

What am I doing wrong?

//--- Test Script
testscript.XLSStartRow=2

testscript.title=A

//--- Test Case

testcase.XLSDelimeter=\n

-Laurie

Try something like:

Configuration:
testscript.XLSStartRow=1
testscript.dc:title=A

testcase.XLSStartRow=1
testcase.dc:title=A

Excel:
A B
1 title1 description1
2 title2 description2

permanent link
Laurie Salopek (111) | answered Jun 24 '11, 11:44 a.m.

Try something like:

Configuration:
testscript.XLSStartRow=1
testscript.dc:title=A

testcase.XLSStartRow=1
testcase.dc:title=A

Excel:
A B
1 title1 description1
2 title2 description2

Same results, the first row becomes the test case and the remaining rows become steps in the test script the test case is linked to.

-Laurie

Comments
Steven Tuttle commented Oct 09 '12, 2:29 p.m.

Were you able to get this working?  This post is from last year, but I don't see an update to know if you got it working.  I have to do something similar and import 3000+ testopia as well, and am not that familiar with the process of doing this, RQMExcelWord importer, etc.  How do you get the records from testopia into an excel format, and what is the configuration (mapping) file that you used?  Thanks for any help you can provide!

permanent link
Hao Wan (1.5k35) | answered Oct 14 '12, 11:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Laurie,
do you have each testcase/testscript separated by a new line? and which version of Excel Importer are you using.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.