It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Use RQM Excel Importer to import associated Test Case, Test

Frank Yuan (6121) | asked Dec 22 '09, 3:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi All,

I am writing a .cfg file to import Requirement, Test Case and Test Script from Excel to RQM.

I am aware of the article on jazz.net (https://jazz1.torolab.ibm.com/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMExcelWordImporter). I created a sample Excel file and a cfg file according to the instructions in the article and provided examples.

But I still couldn't make the association between "test case and requirements", "test case and test scripts" to be imported into RQM.

In my sample Excel file, there are:

Requirement 1 --- Test case 1 --- Test Script 1;
Requirement 2 --- Test case 2 --- Test Script 2;
Requirement 3 --- Test case 3 --- Test Script 3;

What the I want is to link Requirement, Test Case and Test Script to each other. For example, "Requirement 1" <<link>> "Test case 1" <<link>> "Test Script 1".

I have been able to import requirements, test cases and test scripts into RQM successfully.

Now the problem is how to link **single** requirement, test case and test script to each other respectively. I tried the methods in provided sample cfg files but could make what they want.

Please see below what I have tried.

// Link test case to test script
// Below lines will link test case and test script to each other BUT also create duplicate test cases in test script's name <<<
testcase.dc:title=testscript.dc:title
testcase.dc:description=testscript.dc:description

//Link test case to requirement
//This line will link test case to ALL requirements in the xls file <<<
testcase.XLSLink=requirement

I also found that above two sections cannot be used together, otherwise the link between requirements and test case will be missing.

Any input will be appreciated.

Comments
Hao Wan commented Jul 17 '12, 1:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

one way is to use Link key word to link testcase with requirement testcase.requirement=Link(A). and using self reference testcase.dc:title=testscript.dc:title to link testcase withtestscript

16 answers

permanent link
Mike Yalter (11611) | answered Mar 18 '10, 10:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi All,

I am writing a .cfg file to import Requirement, Test Case and Test Script from Excel to RQM.

I am aware of the article on jazz.net (https://jazz1.torolab.ibm.com/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMExcelWordImporter). I created a sample Excel file and a cfg file according to the instructions in the article and provided examples.

But I still couldn't make the association between "test case and requirements", "test case and test scripts" to be imported into RQM.

What the I want is to link Requirement, Test Case and Test Script to each other. For example, "Requirement 1" <<link>> "Test case 1" <<link>> "Test Script 1".

I have been able to import requirements, test cases and test scripts into RQM successfully.

Now the problem is how to link **single** requirement, test case and test script to each other respectively. I tried the methods in provided sample cfg files but could make what they want.

// Below lines will link test case and test script to each other BUT also create duplicate test cases in test script's name <<<

I also found that above two sections cannot be used together, otherwise the link between requirements and test case will be missing.

Hi,
Multiple artifact linking isn't supported yet in the tool. The ability is covered in WI 25869.

permanent link
mat zanchi (46173) | answered Mar 23 '10, 7:26 a.m.
Hi,

I have succefully imported artifacts linked to other artifacts using the XLSLink notation in the cfg file.

But this works only if I could import everything at the same time. What if I need to import test case and link it to an already EXISTING requirement?

Do you now if this can be done?

Thanks!

Matteo

permanent link
Manorenjan Joseph (6) | answered May 04 '10, 1:16 a.m.
Hi All,

Hi,
We are trying to upload test cases and test scripts together.
We have used the following mapping command.

testcase.XLSLink=testscript

When we are uploading all the test scripts are getting mapped to all the test cases. Can anyone suggest a method to map a particular test script to a particular Test case

permanent link
mat zanchi (46173) | answered May 04 '10, 3:33 a.m.
Hi,

you have to split your records into several excel sheets: put 1 parent and N childs (1 TC & N TS script) for each sheet.

Also do not declare the sheet name in the conf file, the import will process all the sheets.

Regards,

Matteo

permanent link
Andrew Trobec (49712144139) | answered May 05 '10, 3:14 a.m.

Hi,
Multiple artifact linking isn't supported yet in the tool. The ability is covered in WI 25869.

When is this ability to be released, Mike? It would be extremely useful to be able to link plans to cases to scripts. My understanding is that this WI 25869 is the solution. Is this correct?

Thank you and regards,

Andrew

permanent link
martin stephen (16) | answered Dec 07 '10, 9:40 p.m.
May i... introduce u a c#/.net component? Spire.XLS for .NET from e-iceblue.

permanent link
vishal marwaha (1111) | answered Jan 12 '11, 4:55 a.m.
Hi alll

I am currently doing some research for the project team in regards to importing and exporting our Requirements, Test Cases, Test Scripts etc into RQM.

After reading all the relevant documentation i understand i will need to create a .cfg file which in most cases will be tailored to specific project needs however i am wondering is there is a basic generic .cfg file i can obtain to begin to understand what is needed to produce one for myself.

I am tasked to look in to the best practice of getting all our test data into RQM on behalf of the team so i am hoping someone can give me some basic lessons learnt advice or even point me in the direction of a basic commonly used cfg file to have a look at.

Once the config file is created is there anything else i would need to consider which i have already come across (just so that i am one step ahead of the game)

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Vishal-UK

Comments
Hao Wan commented Jul 17 '12, 1:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

hi Vishal, you can use the samples in the importer installation folder Mso2Rqm_Excel\samples and refer to the link https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMExcelWordImporter

permanent link
sachin mundrathi (6) | answered Oct 06 '11, 8:34 a.m.
Hi All,

I am writing a .cfg file to import Test Case and Test Script from Excel to RQM.

But I still couldn't make the association between "test case and test scripts" to be imported into RQM.

Test case 1 --- Test Script 1.1;
Test case 1 --- Test Script 1.2;
Test case 2 --- Test Script 2.1;
Test case 2 --- Test Script 2.2;
Test case 3 --- Test Script 3.1;
Test case 3 --- Test Script 3.2;
Test case 3 --- Test Script 3.3;

I want is to link Test Case and Test Script to each other. For example, "Test case 1" <<link>> "Test Script 1.1" and "Test Script 1.2".

I am able to get the XML generated but every test case is linked and generated to all the test scripts, instead of it should link on the test case 1 to test scirpt 1.1 and 1.2 into RQM successfully.

The CFG file i am using to generate the XML is below:

//---Test Scripts
// Start looking for scripts after row 2
testscript.XLSStartRow=2

// use the data in the first row of a found script's column B
// Test script is using the same XLSArtifactID as requirement
testscript.XLSArtifactID=B
testscript.dc:title=D
testscript.dc:description=E
testscript.dc:state="Draft"

// the literal "execution" will be put into the step type tag, so all steps will be of type execution
testscript.steps.type="Manual"
testscript.steps.description=G
testscript.steps.title=F
testscript.steps.name=D
testscript.steps.expectedResult=H

// a new script starts when we encounter an empty row
//testscript.XLSDelimeter=\n

//--- Test Case
// Start looking for test case after row 2
testcase.XLSStartRow=2

// a new test case starts when we encounter an empty row
//testcase.XLSDelimeter=\n

//Test case and requirement are having the same XLSArtifactID
//This is for the TestCaseUpdater Utility
//testcase.XLSArtifactID=A
//testcase.XLSArtifactID=D
//testcase.ID=requirement.XLSArtifactID

//This line will link test case to all requirements in the xls file
//testcase.requirement=requirement.identifier

// self referential links must be declared before also using column definitions
// Below lines will create test case and test script in same name but they can link each other
testcase.dc:title=B
testcase.dc:description=C
testcase.dc:state="Draft"
//testcase.dc.category=E3
//testcase.dc.test phase=F3
testcase.dc:category="Forms Factory"
testcase.dc:Phase="System Test"
testcase.weight="100"
testcase.XLSLink=testscript

Comments
Hao Wan commented Jul 17 '12, 1:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

hi Sachin, you can use the link key word. and set the testscript XLSArtifactID. and using testcase.testscript=Link(D) D column contains the testscript artifact id(external ids) and you can specify more than one artifact id in an excel cell and separated by a new line for testcase1 the reference D* cell contains the external ids of Test Script 1.1 and Test Script 1.2; etc.

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Oct 07 '11, 8:27 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
A couple of points:

-See the examples (https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMExcelWordImporter#Document_Configuration), specifically Scripts that create testcases.cfg.

-Look at self referential links (https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMExcelWordImporter#Data_locations_and_self_referent).

permanent link
johnson tan (6) | answered Oct 12 '11, 11:36 a.m.
A couple of points:

-See the examples (https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMExcelWordImporter#Document_Configuration), specifically Scripts that create testcases.cfg.

-Look at self referential links (https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMExcelWordImporter#Data_locations_and_self_referent).

Hi Paul,

thks for your input... can i ask for your advise on the Test Case Updater thingy?
I understand that It is tested with RQM 2.0.0.1 and applicable iFix releases only.
But now we have RQM 3.0 and I have tried but the updater ain't running on RQM 3.0. Do you have any updates on this?

Thank you

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.