It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migrating 3.0 Developer-WG Licenses to 3.0.1 fails

Thomas Moore (2111) | asked Jun 21 '11, 6:31 p.m.
We purchased Developer for Workgroups and Stakeholder licenses and added them to our 3.0 iFix1 installation of RTC. Now that 3.0.1 is out, we've performed the upgrade using the upgrade script, but the Developer for Workgroups licenses didn't transfer to the new installation. The Stakeholder licenses did transfer, however.

When I attempt to re-add the license file in the License Key Management page, I briefly see a success message but it then quickly changes to the following message:

An error occurred while requesting a preview of the license state. (Two policies can only be merged if their operation rules are exactly the same, but the two policies had a different number of rules) ID CRJAZ1663E

I found the following post that mentions a similar issue but with the free developer licenses: https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17529

Any thoughts?

6 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 22 '11, 3:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
We purchased Developer for Workgroups and Stakeholder licenses and added them to our 3.0 iFix1 installation of RTC. Now that 3.0.1 is out, we've performed the upgrade using the upgrade script, but the Developer for Workgroups licenses didn't transfer to the new installation. The Stakeholder licenses did transfer, however.

When I attempt to re-add the license file in the License Key Management page, I briefly see a success message but it then quickly changes to the following message:

An error occurred while requesting a preview of the license state. (Two policies can only be merged if their operation rules are exactly the same, but the two policies had a different number of rules) ID CRJAZ1663E

I found the following post that mentions a similar issue but with the free developer licenses: https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17529

Any thoughts?

Hi Thomas,

there was another case where this was an issue but during a migration.

I would suggest to create a work item to make development aware of it and link this forum post to it (similar to what I did in the work item mentioned above).

One option I would try is to delete the existing Developer for workgroup license and then try to import the new license file you downloaded for 3.0

permanent link
Thomas Moore (2111) | answered Jun 22 '11, 8:02 a.m.
Ralph,

I found the forum posting for the other case you mentioned last night and have already created the following work item: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=169505

I performed the following steps without success:

1. Restored database to backup taken before running the 3.0.1 upgrade script
    2. Launched the 3.0 iFix1 server and removed the Developer-WG licenses
    3. Re-ran the 3.0.1 upgrade script

I'm thinking that perhaps I need to completely uninstall 3.0.1 and try again.

Thomas

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 22 '11, 8:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ralph,

I found the forum posting for the other case you mentioned last night and have already created the following work item: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=169505

I performed the following steps without success:

1. Restored database to backup taken before running the 3.0.1 upgrade script
    2. Launched the 3.0 iFix1 server and removed the Developer-WG licenses
    3. Re-ran the 3.0.1 upgrade script

I'm thinking that perhaps I need to completely uninstall 3.0.1 and try again.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I am very sorry that you ran into this dilemma.

I tried to bring it to attention to the developers that fixed the other issue. I hope they can help quickly.

permanent link
Thomas Moore (2111) | answered Jun 22 '11, 3:04 p.m.
I just tried a fresh install of 3.0.1 after having removed the Developer-WG licenses from the 3.0 iFix1 installation, but it still gives me the same error when I try to upload the Developer-WG licenses into 3.0.1.

I've created a PMR with IBM support and hopefully they can help me get this figured out since we're blocked. I'll post what I find out when they get back with me in case someone else runs into the same issue.

Thomas

permanent link
Sreedhar Rella (24178) | answered Jun 23 '11, 8:00 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
On 6/22/2011 3:38 PM, thomasmoore wrote:
I just tried a fresh install of 3.0.1 after having removed the
Developer-WG licenses from the 3.0 iFix1 installation, but it still
gives me the same error when I try to upload the Developer-WG
licenses into 3.0.1.

I've created a PMR with IBM support and hopefully they can help me get
this figured out since we're blocked. I'll post what I find out when
they get back with me in case someone else runs into the same issue.

Thomas

Hello Thomas,
I assume you are using RTC 3.0 Developer-WG with RTC 3.0.1 server ?
If yes, the error you are seeing is expected. RTC 3.0.1 Developer
license policy provides extra read access to Requirements Management and
Test management capabilities, and its policy is different from RTC 3.0
Developer license.

We group Developer, Developer-WG, and Developer-10Free license keys to
create a single assignment group. This requires all Developer license
variants in the pool should be at same level.

Please work with your IBM sales person to return Developer-WG 3.0
license key and get corresponding 3.0.1 Developer-WG license key.

thanks,
Sreedhar.

permanent link
Thomas Moore (2111) | answered Jun 27 '11, 6:28 p.m.
Just wanted to post a quick update for anyone else that may have this problem. It turns out that the 3.0 license files are not compatible with 3.0.1, but new license files are available for download from the Rational License Key Center.

Donwload the updated licenses files and you should be good to go.

Thomas

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.