It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Project template export/import

Andrei Kirshin (3642) | asked Jun 09 '11, 9:23 a.m.
I'm wondering whether RRC has a capability to export a project template for further importing to another JTS server? I'm using RRC 3.0.1 RC1 and I cannot find it there and also in the documentation.

It seems that it can be quite useful capability in a situation when a template is created for a client and it is supposed to be deployed on a client machine.

Is it planned for future releases? (I cannot find any related work item)

Is there a workaround? ...Well not including the option of connecting to a client's server and manually creating the artefact types, links etc.

Is there a programmatic way to do this?

Thank you,
~Andrei

8 answers

permanent link
Jared Burns (4.5k29) | answered Jun 15 '11, 2:45 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am also very interested in getting the answer to this question.

This could be a possible option for moving projects between different Jazz servers:
1. Export project template on Server 1 and create a new project using this template on Server 2.
2. Move the artifacts from Server 1 to Server 2 using .csv-files.

But this feature would be also extremely useful per se.

This is not yet supported in RRC because the Jazz Foundation web ui doesn't yet support this. We're aware of this gap and it's something we'd like to close. We're still in the process of putting together our plan for the next release, so this isn't yet committed or deferred.

For reference, here's the workitem which tracks this request.
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/155620

- Jared

Comments
Kangkan Goswami commented Jun 04 '12, 7:25 a.m.

@Jared: Thanks for putting it to the workitem list.

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jun 05 '12, 9:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 05 '12, 9:59 a.m.
Please see this blog from Jared:  https://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2012/05/29/clm-2012-part-4-rational-requirements-composer-definition-to-delivery/

You will see this section:

Working across Project Boundaries

Are you working with multiple projects, multiple project configurations, or requirements in separate repositories?  Many people are, including the RRC team in our self host on jazz.net. We now have a great way to upload and download project templates from one project to another, making it easier for all of us to maintain our project configurations from one environment to another.

Comments
Kangkan Goswami commented Jun 05 '12, 10:41 a.m.

Just great! Thanks @RobinBater for sharing.

permanent link
Daria Mayorova (10152) | answered Jun 15 '11, 12:56 p.m.
I am also very interested in getting the answer to this question.

This could be a possible option for moving projects between different Jazz servers:
1. Export project template on Server 1 and create a new project using this template on Server 2.
2. Move the artifacts from Server 1 to Server 2 using .csv-files.

But this feature would be also extremely useful per se.

permanent link
Daria Mayorova (10152) | answered Jun 15 '11, 3:25 p.m.
This is not yet supported in RRC because the Jazz Foundation web ui doesn't yet support this. We're aware of this gap and it's something we'd like to close. We're still in the process of putting together our plan for the next release, so this isn't yet committed or deferred.

- Jared
Thank you for the information, Jared!

permanent link
Andrei Kirshin (3642) | answered Jun 16 '11, 3:10 a.m.

- Jared

Thank you Jared.
I just want to be sure that we talk about the same thing. I'm talking about project template (RTC - artefact type, link type, etc.) . The work item is about process template (Jazz Foundation - roles, etc.).
I created a new work item:
https://jazz.net/jazz03/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/43946

~Andrei

permanent link
Jared Burns (4.5k29) | answered Jun 17 '11, 2:27 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I just want to be sure that we talk about the same thing. I'm talking about project template (RTC - artefact type, link type, etc.) . The work item is about process template (Jazz Foundation - roles, etc.).
I created a new work item:
https://jazz.net/jazz03/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/43946

I see. Ideally, I think both the Foundation and RM teams agree that the information currently stored in "project templates" should be stored inside the process configuration so that it could be captured in both process templates and project areas.

I believe this is another item on the list for consideration in 2012.

- Jared

permanent link
Brian DiCola (16) | answered Oct 26 '11, 10:13 a.m.
Is there a work around? For example, is there an XML file stored on the server that I can copy over to the new server?

Migration capabilities like this would be really useful.

permanent link
Sharon Sorenson (4641) | answered Nov 01 '11, 9:35 p.m.
Beware - there is an unsupported procedure for exporting a project template and importing it on another server. I performed this procedure and it corrupted our database.

In my opinion, the fact that this capability was not provided in the new version of RRC is a major shortcoming.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.