It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

A little confusion in requirements specification fo Jazz v4.0.1 related to virtualization

Dmitry A. Lesin (24826796) | asked Jan 14 '13, 8:46 a.m.
edited Jan 14 '13, 8:53 a.m.

Hello!

I’ve been a little bit confused preparing environment specification for a customer before deploying Jazz solution v4.0.1. The confusing page is here (in section "A2. Server Virtualization (Non-Clustered)"):

https://jazz.net/library/article/1109#mozTocId896786

Everywhere in "Notes" column is: "RRDI only supports VMWare VSphere & ESX, ESXi 4.0 and 4.1"

But in the rows "VMware VSphere and ESXi 5.0 and future fix packs", I can see that RRDI 32 and 64 bit is supported.

So what is true? Is ESXi 5.0 supported?

Thank you for any help!

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Jan 14 '13, 8:40 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

This would seem to be an error in updating the table -- since RRDI works in the other VMWare environments why wouldn't it work in the latest one? I have emailed some folks hoping to get a more definitive answer for you. 

Dmitry A. Lesin commented Jan 14 '13, 11:24 p.m.

Hi Millard,

Thank you for quick answer!

Really, I think that ESX 5 is supported too. But I would be very grateful to help me to clarify this situation. The matter is that it’s concerned to accepting the expensive hardware equipment to deploy the Jazz solution. And I'm very scaring to give wrong recommendations to a big customer.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Jeff McRae (2711) | answered Jan 18 '13, 12:55 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The intention was to state that RRDI does not support VMware ESXi v5 because we did not validate it yet.  This is a problem in the document.

But that being said, there are no known problems with VMware ESXi v5 and we do plan to perform this validation and support it in an upcoming release.

If someone contacted support with a problem while running RRDI on ESXi v5, IBM support would still analyze the problem and resolve it.  The only issue would be that if the problem appears to be related to the underlying virtualization platform, IBM support could request that the issue be reproduced on a supported environment.  The chances of this occurring are small.

Jeff

Dmitry A. Lesin selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.