It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Custom Work Item Types Not Visible on Plans

Rich Steenwyk (622) | asked Apr 28 '11, 11:40 a.m.
Using RTC 3.0 and recently created new work item types each in their own 'type category' and corresponding custom workflows for each type. Upon changing an existing work item from built-in "Task" type to new custom work item type, the work item is no longer visible on the Plan. Plan is a work-breakdown format grouped by category.

Plan heading (the category) shows that four work items exist, but does not display them (section is not expanded, nor is it expandable )

I see no settings anywhere that might indicate why these new types are not visible. I can see them in queries that search for the specific category however.

Is there some sort of synchronization necessary?
This does not appear to be an issue solely because existing work items had their type changed...A new work item of one of the custom types is similarly not visible.

Additionally, these new work items types are shown in the inline-task-add menu from a plan, but are grayed out, so this seems indicative of some sort of configuration problem.

One answer

permanent link
Rich Steenwyk (622) | answered May 03 '11, 10:44 a.m.
Using RTC 3.0 and recently created new work item types each in their own 'type category' and corresponding custom workflows for each type. Upon changing an existing work item from built-in "Task" type to new custom work item type, the work item is no longer visible on the Plan. Plan is a work-breakdown format grouped by category.

Plan heading (the category) shows that four work items exist, but does not display them (section is not expanded, nor is it expandable )

I see no settings anywhere that might indicate why these new types are not visible. I can see them in queries that search for the specific category however.

Is there some sort of synchronization necessary?
This does not appear to be an issue solely because existing work items had their type changed...A new work item of one of the custom types is similarly not visible.

Additionally, these new work items types are shown in the inline-task-add menu from a plan, but are grayed out, so this seems indicative of some sort of configuration problem.

After further investigation, it seems that a filter in the plan view that was filtering out "Risks" (as defined by RTC) was preventing the display of these new task types.

So, now the real question is, why do these new types -- which neither share workflow or type category with the Risk work item type -- get caught by the (built-in) "Risks" filter in plans?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.