It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to include IFS files in IBM i projects and have the build engine bring them to the i ?

Christian Aasland (12) | asked Mar 11 '22, 8:49 a.m.

Is there a way to include IFS files in IBM i projects and have the build engine bring them to the i ?

One answer

permanent link
jeff tickner (51710) | answered Mar 11 '22, 10:09 a.m.

Christian, remember that you can have any file type you want and you can have source only types (like copybooks) AND if you are using the CL based build style you can have your own compile commands essentially.

It would be pretty simple to define a new type .IFS and have the Build CL be a CPYTOSTMF command which allows file level customization.

If you are not using the CL based build style then you can still define the .IFS type as a source only so you can manage these in RTC and then either extend the Build process to do the CPYTOSTMF or do it post build manually.
We extended the Build engine through plugins for our processing at Arcad but depending on the Build style you will have additional options.

I am not versed in all the IBM i Build styles but there should be a way to extend whatever build you are using. If you have different file types you want to manage (you never said what you wanted to manage but the first thing that occurred to me was PCML) you could have just .IFS or any number of types.

Thanks Jeff
Arcad Software

Comments
Christian Aasland commented Mar 14 '22, 7:13 p.m.
Hi Jeff, thanks for the info. I did consider the CPYTOSTMF but was hoping there was a more direct / proper / obvious method instead. I'll look into the plugins.

We use the command build method (i.e. push all parts then call a command to build and package the product).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.