It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Network Bandwidth Requirements for 500 Users Deployment

Martin Lee (3676) | asked Jul 03 '11, 7:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

This customer of our is intending to deployment RTC over 2 sites in Malaysia and China. The security model does not allow them to host server in China hence it has to be over a WAN to the main site in Malaysia where the server is going to be.

With the scenario of 100 developers in China at peak performing development work i.e. checking in/out and build and the rest performing work items management and reporting in Malaysia, the customer is asking for the bandwidth requirements (for LAN in Malaysia and for WAN between Malaysia and China) < 10secs response time.

Appreciate if someone can offer some advice here. Thanks.

One answer

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jul 03 '11, 8:14 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

This customer of our is intending to deployment RTC over 2 sites in Malaysia and China. The security model does not allow them to host server in China hence it has to be over a WAN to the main site in Malaysia where the server is going to be.

With the scenario of 100 developers in China at peak performing development work i.e. checking in/out and build and the rest performing work items management and reporting in Malaysia, the customer is asking for the bandwidth requirements (for LAN in Malaysia and for WAN between Malaysia and China) < 10secs response time.

Appreciate if someone can offer some advice here. Thanks.

Hi Martin

Not sure I can offer a direct answer, but if you check the metronome on the Eclipse client, this gives you an idea of a good performance based on ping time. To quote the metronome information:

Our testing with the Jazz client show that with a ping time in the range of 10-600ms and transfer speeds of 60KB/s or more the client is generally responsive.

However, the < 10 secs response time is very vague - 10 sec for what? Remember the Eclipse client (and I assume the VS client) does a lot of smart caching, so users get control of the UI back very quickly. On the other hand - WebUI users performance depend on how quickly the application can transmit the web page across the network, and how quickly the server can perform the task.

If they have a WAN already, I would test the setup as it is today and see what performance they get.

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.