It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Discard change set, hey where'd my local project go??

Curtis Kozielec (36122) | asked Apr 20 '11, 3:51 p.m.
:evil:
Wow, we were going to share a project in RTC from Visual Studio 2010, and once it made its initial change set we realized there was alot of old folders/code that we didn't want to add. So we read up and decided to use "Discard Change set" , go back and clean up the project, and then "share it" once it was cleaned up.

Chose discard change set......The project and its files are gone. The local, original copies, ie. the source project is missing.

Not in recycle bin, gone.

Is there somewhere we can find the entire project at this point? (some jazz working directory? temporary place?

3 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Apr 20 '11, 4:42 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
:evil:
Wow, we were going to share a project in RTC from Visual Studio 2010, and once it made its initial change set we realized there was alot of old folders/code that we didn't want to add. So we read up and decided to use "Discard Change set" , go back and clean up the project, and then "share it" once it was cleaned up.

Chose discard change set......The project and its files are gone. The local, original copies, ie. the source project is missing.

Not in recycle bin, gone.

Is there somewhere we can find the entire project at this point? (some jazz working directory? temporary place?
The change set still exists on the server. You can search for a recently created change set and accept it into your workspace. If you've attached it to a work item, you may accept it from there. The change set will also be closed if you're using a recent version of RTC. That is ok. You can either open another change set that builds on top of the first one or disconnect the project and discard the unwanted change set.

By discarding the change set, the changes in it will be reversed. This happens to be the addition of the files once the initial share was performed. To avoid this, you can disconnect the project then discard the change set. This kind of behaviour is intended as you would want to discard a change and have your local shared content to reflect the same state as your repository workspace.

permanent link
Curtis Kozielec (36122) | answered Apr 21 '11, 7:23 a.m.
The change set still exists on the server. You can search for a recently created change set and accept it into your workspace. If you've attached it to a work item, you may accept it from there. The change set will also be closed if you're using a recent version of RTC. That is ok. You can either open another change set that builds on top of the first one or disconnect the project and discard the unwanted change set.

By discarding the change set, the changes in it will be reversed. This happens to be the addition of the files once the initial share was performed. To avoid this, you can disconnect the project then discard the change set. This kind of behaviour is intended as you would want to discard a change and have your local shared content to reflect the same state as your repository workspace.

When I connect to the project area with another client, and look at change explorer, there is nothing there. The original user cannot go back into the Visual Studio project, because it appears it and all the files that were to be part of the change set are deleted from his local machine, which happened when he tried to discard change set.

permanent link
Curtis Kozielec (36122) | answered Apr 21 '11, 8:02 a.m.
Just recreated it,
opened a new project in visual studio 2010

setup a test project area in RTC (2.0.0.2 iFix5)

connected to rtc in Visual Studio, share project(s) with Jazz

creates change set with all relevant project files(used default visual studio filters *.suo,etc.) with "add" status

I rename change set title

I now choose Discard "Change Set" (premise being, there are alot of old files/directories in project folders, so let's clean that up and then share it later when its cleaned up)

Close out of Visual Studio, it prompts me to save the csproj file, normally I would say no, since I don't want anything changed, but I also tested saying yes, but then it has trouble saving since the project directory is already gone at this point along with all the files, including itself, so I'm only working with the one in Visual Studio memory

Goodbye project! If I then start up visual studio 2010, connect to RTC, drill down into the rtc project/component and "show History.." I see the named change set, but there are no files there to accept/restore (ie. it was never fully added, that I can actually understand)

What I don't understand is how this is wholesale blowing away my local project directory and files, with no means to recover when all I asked it to do was "discard a change set"

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.