It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM Backup and restore to a different server

brad beuke (11) | asked Oct 22 '10, 12:29 p.m.
We are working on disaster recovery for RQM,does anybody have any documentation or the steps on how to recovery a RQM database on one server, and restore it to another server?

3 answers

permanent link
Patrick Van Zandt (1.2k1) | answered Oct 27 '10, 4:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We are working on disaster recovery for RQM,does anybody have any documentation or the steps on how to recovery a RQM database on one server, and restore it to another server?

Hi Brad,

On an RQM level, the only backup/restore functions are
repotools -export toFile=<fileName>.TAR

and
repotools -import fromFile=<fileName>.TAR

Details here: Getting Started with Repository Migration

However -- repotools requires that the server be taken offline. This is not ideal for regularly scheduled backups.

Probably the better strategy is to implement something at the database level, which I think is what David is describing. For this, you will want to consult with the support group or documentation from your database vendor (Oracle, SQL, or DB2). If you have the database backed up, all you need from the RQM server machine (assuming Tomcat) is tomcat-users-XML and teamserver.properties, plus any other XML or BAT files that you have customized (such as web.XML, server.startup.bat, etc). From a recovery standpoint, you can then drop these files into a new instance of RQM on any machine and be back up and running.

On the topic of disaster recovery, you may want to look into using WAS with Idle Standby configuration if you are not already. Details here:
Deploying jazz.war on WebSphere Application Server for high availability environments

-Patrick

permanent link
David Mehaffy (90123238) | answered Oct 22 '10, 4:49 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
what is the database type. I do it all the time with db2 - that is how
I populate my sandbox test servers to test new builds and fixes from
Rational before applying to production server.

On 10/22/10 11:38 AM, bbeuke wrote:
We are working on disaster recovery for RQM,does anybody have any
documentation or the steps on how to recovery a RQM database on one
server, and restore it to another server?

permanent link
pietro marella (953130) | answered Nov 15 '11, 11:56 a.m.
We need to migrate from RQM 2.0 (actual server) to 3.0.1 - The question is: can I migrate only a "subset" of information from my actual RQM server to the new one? As for example, only selected projects, only test cases and test scripts (but not execution records), etc etc...?

thanks in advance
*piero

Comments
Stephane Leroy commented Jun 11 '12, 12:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Pietro,

seems like you were - at least partially - requesting for a 'Jazz Project Move' capability. There is an open discussion you might want to participate to (and possibly bring your inputs to) : https://jazz.net/forum/questions/77930/what-about-jazz-project-move-capability?redirect=%2Fforum%2Fquestions%2F77930%2Fwhat-about-jazz-project-move-capability

Regards, Stéphane

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.