It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Install Tomcat as a service under Windows x64 editions

David Moss (171156) | asked Mar 15 '10, 1:31 p.m.
We've previously deployed RTC (and RQM and RRC for that matter) to servers which all run Windows 2003 Server 32-bit edition, and successfully set up Tomcat to run as a service on all 3 of them. We just deployed a new server which runs Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition. Completed the same Tomcat service setup/configuration, but the service will not start. The only difference we seem to think is relevant with this new environment is the 64-bit OS.

When attempting to start the service, the jakarta_service_YYYYMMDD.log file produces the following:

[2010-03-15 09:28:03] [174  javajni.c] [error] %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

[2010-03-15 09:28:03] [947 prunsrv.c] [error] Failed creating java D:\IBM\RRCS20\server\jre\bin\j9vm\jvm.dll
[2010-03-15 09:28:03] [1202 prunsrv.c] [error] ServiceStart returned 1

(I know log is from RRC, not RTC, but I don't think that matters. It was the first server we hit this with).

Initial googling shows a number of older (circa 2007-2009) posts about Tomcat5 having this problem on 64-bit systems. Newer posts (2009-2010) talk about tomcat 6. Seeing as it's v5 that is distributed with RTC/RRC/RQM...what's the method to get this running properly with the Jazz toolset?

Thanks,

David

3 answers

permanent link
David Moss (171156) | answered Mar 15 '10, 2:08 p.m.
Naturally, found "the" technote which I am now pursuing after posting. Isn't that always the case...can't find "the" note until posting for more help!

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21404257

permanent link
David Moss (171156) | answered Mar 15 '10, 4:58 p.m.
Above referenced technote does, in fact, provide the solution. In our case there was some trepidation regarding binaries explicitly labeled "AMD64" being installed on a server with Intel Xeon processors (which is what we have). They do, however, appear to be working!

Best I could find so far was that the two instruction sets have few differences, and most binaries compiled for 64bit will work for both types of processors. Does anyone know of a specific reference I could provide which would satisfy our network group to say "these binaries referenced from the IBM technote are compatible with Xeon processors"?

Sorry, not a Tomcat expert...this is probably a simple question/not a concern for them!

permanent link
David Bows (6) | answered Mar 24 '10, 8:57 a.m.
Naturally, found "the" technote which I am now pursuing after posting. Isn't that always the case...can't find "the" note until posting for more help!

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21404257

I found a simple solution that seems to work fine.

I setup a Windows Scheduler Task that executes the jazz server startup batch file. The Windows Scheduler allows you to run a task on "Startup" of the server. So I set it up to fire when the server starts. Works perfectly.

This eliminates the need for the service - which I could not get to work reliably.

Hope this helps.

David

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.