It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Install Tomcat as a service under Windows x64 editions

David Moss (171156) | asked Mar 15 '10, 1:31 p.m.
We've previously deployed RTC (and RQM and RRC for that matter) to servers which all run Windows 2003 Server 32-bit edition, and successfully set up Tomcat to run as a service on all 3 of them. We just deployed a new server which runs Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition. Completed the same Tomcat service setup/configuration, but the service will not start. The only difference we seem to think is relevant with this new environment is the 64-bit OS.

When attempting to start the service, the jakarta_service_YYYYMMDD.log file produces the following:

[2010-03-15 09:28:03] [174  javajni.c] [error] %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

[2010-03-15 09:28:03] [947 prunsrv.c] [error] Failed creating java D:\IBM\RRCS20\server\jre\bin\j9vm\jvm.dll
[2010-03-15 09:28:03] [1202 prunsrv.c] [error] ServiceStart returned 1

(I know log is from RRC, not RTC, but I don't think that matters. It was the first server we hit this with).

Initial googling shows a number of older (circa 2007-2009) posts about Tomcat5 having this problem on 64-bit systems. Newer posts (2009-2010) talk about tomcat 6. Seeing as it's v5 that is distributed with RTC/RRC/RQM...what's the method to get this running properly with the Jazz toolset?

Thanks,

David

3 answers

permanent link
David Moss (171156) | answered Mar 15 '10, 2:08 p.m.
Naturally, found "the" technote which I am now pursuing after posting. Isn't that always the case...can't find "the" note until posting for more help!

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21404257

permanent link
David Moss (171156) | answered Mar 15 '10, 4:58 p.m.
Above referenced technote does, in fact, provide the solution. In our case there was some trepidation regarding binaries explicitly labeled "AMD64" being installed on a server with Intel Xeon processors (which is what we have). They do, however, appear to be working!

Best I could find so far was that the two instruction sets have few differences, and most binaries compiled for 64bit will work for both types of processors. Does anyone know of a specific reference I could provide which would satisfy our network group to say "these binaries referenced from the IBM technote are compatible with Xeon processors"?

Sorry, not a Tomcat expert...this is probably a simple question/not a concern for them!

permanent link
David Bows (6) | answered Mar 24 '10, 8:57 a.m.
Naturally, found "the" technote which I am now pursuing after posting. Isn't that always the case...can't find "the" note until posting for more help!

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21404257

I found a simple solution that seems to work fine.

I setup a Windows Scheduler Task that executes the jazz server startup batch file. The Windows Scheduler allows you to run a task on "Startup" of the server. So I set it up to fire when the server starts. Works perfectly.

This eliminates the need for the service - which I could not get to work reliably.

Hope this helps.

David

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.