It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CRJAZ1238I RRC and RTC on Oracle

Jan Šťastný (1212147) | asked Jan 11 '10, 11:24 a.m.
Hi everybody,

I just installed RTC and RRC on same machine. Each product uses it's own Tomcat instance, each is running different set of ports.
Both use Oracle as the database. Each product has it's own username to connect to Oracle.

After installing both products each is running well separately. However, when trying to run both, the second (no matter whether it's RRC or RTC) dumps this to the logs/jazz.log:

java.lang.RuntimeException: CRJAZ1238I Jazz has detected another server process is connected to the repository database location "oracle:///localhost:10278".  The server must not be running when running repotools data commands.  Check that only one process is connecting to the database.

and the database is not available.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

7 answers

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jan 11 '10, 2:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi everybody,

I just installed RTC and RRC on same machine. Each product uses it's own Tomcat instance, each is running different set of ports.
Both use Oracle as the database. Each product has it's own username to connect to Oracle.

After installing both products each is running well separately. However, when trying to run both, the second (no matter whether it's RRC or RTC) dumps this to the logs/jazz.log:

java.lang.RuntimeException: CRJAZ1238I Jazz has detected another server process is connected to the repository database location "oracle:///localhost:10278".  The server must not be running when running repotools data commands.  Check that only one process is connecting to the database.

and the database is not available.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

When you installed the products on the same machine did you use different host name aliases for RRC and RTC, rather than using localhost with the different port number?

Here are some smoke test instructions for installing everything on the same machine:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/CALMRTCRQMSmokeInstall

permanent link
Jan Šťastný (1212147) | answered Jan 11 '10, 6:43 p.m.
Hi,

no, I did not use hostname aliases and I address the server by the FQDN.

Does the hostname setting / alias affect the database connection? I'd rather not use hostname aliases at all if possible.

If it is really needed to set up hostname aliases for the database to work well, is it possible to use the aliases on the server only and not on the clients? (I know about the cookie problems in the browsers).

permanent link
Ivan Bula (58106) | answered Jan 12 '10, 10:36 a.m.
Hi,

no, I did not use hostname aliases and I address the server by the FQDN.

Does the hostname setting / alias affect the database connection? I'd rather not use hostname aliases at all if possible.

If it is really needed to set up hostname aliases for the database to work well, is it possible to use the aliases on the server only and not on the clients? (I know about the cookie problems in the browsers).

Hi, i had the same problem. Try attach another port to the listener (Load Balance), then you can assign a different port by each tool

permanent link
Jan Šťastný (1212147) | answered Jan 12 '10, 12:18 p.m.
Hi, i had the same problem. Try attach another port to the listener (Load Balance), then you can assign a different port by each tool

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm unfortunatelly not the administrator of the Oracle database, but I'll ask the admin to do that for me.

However, this still seems just like workarounds. @Jazz team: isn't there a real solution? Or is it a bug?

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jan 14 '10, 10:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm unfortunatelly not the administrator of the Oracle database, but I'll ask the admin to do that for me.

However, this still seems just like workarounds. @Jazz team: isn't there a real solution? Or is it a bug?

Not a bug but a point in time of development. Changing the port number and using hostname aliases is a recommended solution for running the tomcat servers, and databases, on the same machine.

The currently supported deployment CALM scenarios are:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/CALMConfigs

There are exploratory ideas to support other scenarios including everything on one machine using a single tomcat server:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/CALMJazzConfig

permanent link
Belinda Spachta (53187) | answered Jan 22 '10, 1:19 p.m.

Hi, if i remember correctly i had the same problem and fixed it with specifying the tmp dir in the server.startup file (the 2 servers were using the same temp directory which was causing this failure).
TEMP_DIR=$(TMP:-/$HOME/tmp)
$HOME is the installation directory of the different products the $HOMe/tmp directory must exist before you change server.startup.

permanent link
Jan Šťastný (1212147) | answered Feb 05 '10, 6:43 p.m.
Thanks bellabelinda,

your solution helped and now all 3 products are running perfectly.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.