It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Copy query in RTC from one project to another project

Anh Tran (11) | asked Feb 27 '23, 10:37 p.m.

I am currently working on migrating a project's data from one server to another, which includes copying over share query statements from RTC. Despite trying to use com.ibm.team, I have come across a problem where I am unable to query the new project after completing the migration.

More specifically, in the old project, a query was created to search for sub-work items of a parent work item with an ID of 123456. However, after copying to the new project, no work items were found with the same ID.

Do you happen to know of any potential solutions to this issue?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 28 '23, 2:18 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I do not think that this is rocket science. There is no project migration from one server to another. There are multiple reasons why, it is very complex and a lot of work and there are so many use cases that are conflicting, there will likely never a good solution.

Having said that, regardless of which method you use to recreate work items on the other server, the server will calculate the work item number on its own. It starts with 1 and increases the ID every time. The work item ID is server based, project areas share the same ID range.

The likelihood, that a work item w with ID n on server 1 has the same ID n on the other server 2 goes against 0. You would have to make sure the work items are created in exactly the same order across the project areas.

Your query does not work, because there is no work item with that ID. If there was a work item,  it would likely not be the one you expected.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.