It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Microsoft Project Plan Import into RTC to allow Custom Attributes Update

ABHILASH MM (176) | asked May 19 '21, 5:01 a.m.
RTC Version: 6.0.6

Hello Team,

This is regarding the Microsoft Project Plan(MPP) Import to RTC as explained in the Article

Currently it allows the mapping as shown below.

Apart from these, If i have another Column in my MPP can i import those values to a specific attribute?
Is there a possibility to add the custom attribute mapping?

Thanks for the help!

Regards,
Abhilash

Comments
ABHILASH MM commented May 19 '21, 5:05 a.m. | edited May 22 '21, 1:40 p.m.

I am not able to upload Image of mapping but the mapping is same as in https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/elm/6.0.3?topic=projects-importing-exporting-plans-microsoft-project Table 1

Table 1. Mapped resources after import
Microsoft Project Plan
Your existing plan
User Contributor
Summary Task Any work item type
Task Any work item type
Task Assignment The mapped user is assigned as the owner of the work item.
Project Plan
Dependency Each Finish-to-Start dependency is imported and mapped to a predecessor-successor relationship.
Constraints If you are using the Formal Project Management process, the  As soon as possible Start no earlier than , and  Finish no later than  constraints are imported and mapped to the same constraints. For the  Start no earlier than  and  Finish no later than  constraints, the constraint dates are also imported. Other constraints are not imported or mapped. In processes where no constraints are defined, such as Scrum, constraints are not imported or mapped.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered May 19 '21, 9:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As far as I am aware, there is no way to import (or export) more data than the described data. You can not update any other attributes, especially not custom attributes.

ABHILASH MM selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
ABHILASH MM commented May 19 '21, 9:42 a.m. | edited May 19 '21, 9:44 a.m.

Thanks for the reply Ralph.

Is there any RFE for this feature?

The main reason for this request is, We have many Mandatory attributes apart from these default Mapped Attributes for the work items. because of this team is not able to Import the work items into RTC (Mandatory Attribute NOT SET).
If we can have a custom mapping option to allow users to import a specific column of MPP into Specific Attribute this issue can be resolved.

Ralph Schoon commented May 19 '21, 12:45 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

How would I know there is an ER? If there would be one, it would likely not being scheduled. So this is likely not a solution path.

If the attribute is required, make it not required in the new state to be able to import MPP, or consider looking into a CSV import instead. I know, no ideal solution. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.