It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Link between two work items (EWM/RTC) from different PAs without PA association

Thomas Becker (154) | asked Feb 13 '23, 3:18 a.m.

Precondition: I have an existing (EWM/RTC) project area (PA) which have a lot of associations to other PAs on the same serve as well as on other servers. Now I have created a brand new EWM PA on the same server as my already existing EWM PA. For the new created EWM PA, I haven't done any association to any other PA. Now I have created some new work items in the new PA and I have a lot of work items in the existing (old) PAs

Expectation: I've tried to create a link (Related,  Parent-Child) between a work item from the "new" PA to the work item from the "old" PA. My expectation would be, that the linking is not possible, because there is no association from the "new" PA to any other PA. 

Behavior: I was able to create links as soon as I have had "every one" access to the "new" PA. 

Question: 
Is this behavior expected? 
If yes, is there any possibility to avoid that "normal" user can create links from the other PAs to the "new" PA? 
I've tried to find some explanation about associate in the documentation but haven't found something which answers my question. Is there a any documentation about associations between EWM PAs? 

Comments
Thomas Becker commented Feb 13 '23, 10:12 a.m. | edited Feb 13 '23, 10:30 a.m.

Hi Ralph, 

thank you for the fast answer. 
I understood, that I have to differentiate between OSLC links and non-OSLC links. 
Now I've done the following for an non-OSLC link (parent-child):
  • PA "A": user has permission to modify work items including all link relation ships. 
    • Save Work Item (+)
      •  Modify the Work Item (+)
        • Modify the Work Item children's link (+)
        • Modify the Work Items parent link (+)
  • PA "B": user has no permission to modify work items. Especially no permission for
    • Save Work Item (-)
      •  Modify the Work Item (-)
        • Modify the Work Item children's link (-)
        • Modify the Work Items parent link (-)
Even with this setup, the user was abele to create a parent link form a work item in PA "A" to a work item in PA "B"!
But this should not be possible because of the permission setup in the two PA's?!

Is there any other setting, I have to do? 

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 13 '23, 4:06 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 13 '23, 4:10 a.m.

To my knowledge, the behavior is to be expected. I have tried to explain this here: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/MultipleCCMAppsUserPerspective#Work_Item_Linking_Work_Item_Link

There are different link types in EWM and there are also different "flavors" of link types. When EWM was created there was not yet an OSLC specification. EWM supported work item link types such as parent/child. These were only available between work items on exactly one CCM server, regardless which project area the work item was in. It was impossible to link a work item on an EWM server server1 with a work item on an EWM server server2.

With OSLC it became possible to link work items using OSLC link types. The links are only available when there is an association between the project areas and applications. Each artifact container specifies which associations are available with which other project area, regardless on which server the project area lives. Also see 
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/MultipleCCMAppsBestPractices for more information. The OSLC link types are potentially also available between EWM and other tools that provide change requests (OSLC work item like things). As an example, ClearQuest provides OSLC change request capabilities and can be included in OSLC linking.

As far as I can tell, the permissions work on roles. You can specify which roles can modify work items, I think including modification of links. But this needs to be configured in each project areas and only works for work item link types and not for OSLC link types as far as I can tell.

Comments
Thomas Becker commented Feb 13 '23, 10:13 a.m.

Hi Ralph, 

can you please check my "answer" below? It was too long to become a comment. Therefore I've poste it this way. 

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 14 '23, 6:29 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thomas, I do not see anything below. My expectation would be that the role based stuff works.  

Thomas Becker commented Feb 15 '23, 2:39 a.m.

Thank you again for your fast answers. But from my point of view, it don't work. 

As I've describes. I have 2 PAs.

In PA "A" the user is allowed to create parent and child links. 
In PA "B" the user is not allowed to create parent nor child links. 

What is the expected behavior, if the user is trying to create a parent -> child or child -> parent link from a work item from PA "A" to PA "B"?  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.