It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Linking artifacts using excel import

Don Max (241330) | asked Jul 11 '20, 11:11 a.m.
We have a requiremnent to import data to RDNG (6.0.6) from excel files. The artifacts in the excel files needs to be linked while importing. For example we need to link artifact A in one excel file with artifact B in another excel. The excel files has a column which has details about to which artifact link needs to be made.
Is it possible to make these links while importing.?
Since the amount of data is quite high, importing the excel files seperately and then manually linking is very time consuming. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

4 answers

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k241144) | answered Jul 11 '20, 12:19 p.m.
Hi Don,

In DOORS Classic you could have used Link By Attribute feature out of the box to do this since you could choose the linking attribute.

In DNG you can only use the ID for the LBA feature.

So to achieve the same outcome in DNG you need to import your Reqs1 spreadsheet, then export it as a View, which will give you the DNG IDs.

Use VLOOKUP on your Reqs2 spreadsheet, converting your original Reqs1 indices into the new DNG IDs.

Import your Reqs2 spreadsheet, then use Link By Attribute to create the links between Reqs1 and Reqs2.

This will create base artifact links.

You will need to prefix the ID generated IDs with the module ID+'.' if you want module context links.

Comments
Don Max commented Jul 12 '20, 3:38 a.m.
Hello Sean,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will check and share a feedback

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Jul 11 '20, 9:02 p.m.
edited Jul 11 '20, 9:03 p.m.
Yes you can import and link at the same time via spreadsheet.

The best way to set this up is to create a view containing all the attributes you want to import, including the link types, and then manually create a single link of each type on one of the artefacts. Then export the view to Excel.

This will give you a spreadsheet with the correct column name for the link, and will give you a template to follow for the cell content. All you need in the link cell to make a link is:

{LINK id=<value>}

where value will be the id of the target - linking to a base artefact only requires the artefact id, whereas linking to the target artefact within a module requires <module id>.<artefact id> as the value.

On the source artefact side, supplying just the id column will link from the base artefact, whereas supplying both an id column and a module column will link from the artefact within the module

Comments
Don Max commented Jul 12 '20, 3:37 a.m. | edited Jul 12 '20, 3:39 a.m.
Hello Davyd,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have tested the same and its not working as expected with only the {LINK id=<value>}or {LINK id=module id.artifact id}. We need to pass the artifact uri also which makes this method not practical. Please let me if am doing it wrong.

Davyd Norris commented Jul 12 '20, 7:13 p.m.

Something else must not be quite right in your import - you can definitely do it without the uri

permanent link
Erik Novysedlák (26) | answered Jul 16 '20, 1:25 a.m.

Hello,

we are company Softacus and among other things, we provide scripts for our customers.
We have something like this:

Does the script fulfill your needs? If so, you can contact us on info@softacus.com
If not, we can also develop it for you.

Thank you.

permanent link
dennis betty (111) | answered Jan 11 '22, 7:47 p.m.
edited Jan 12 '22, 6:57 a.m.

Sorry, I accidentally found this topic, and I have a question that I just can't ask. What do you mean by the word artifact? Usually, an artifact is a phenomenon when something goes wrong in a program or application. Typically, artifacts are text or text formatting that should not have appeared. These kinds of artifacts appear due to a graphical or software bug. Therefore, you have confused me a little. I hope it will not be difficult for you to explain what you mean by artifacts in Excel? I sometimes work in Microsoft Excel with Coupler.io , but I've never met artifacts. Maybe I just don't fully understand what this term can mean?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 12 '22, 2:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Obviously an artifact is a representation of a requirement in excel in this case. If you have to ask this question, you likely do not belong into this forum. 

You also do not ask such a question as an answer in this forum. 

I do not understand this scheme to post garbage into forums. Can you explain why you do this?  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.