It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

can i deploy hierarchy links while importing a CSV into DNG?

Ido Eshed (312) | asked Sep 08 '20, 11:47 a.m.

I don't mean the module parent binding column solution, but deploy a parent-child relationship showing in the links. i thought i could do that with ID decimal point but it does not seem to work...   

2 answers

permanent link
Ian Barnard (1.9k613) | answered Sep 08 '20, 12:59 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 08 '20, 1:14 p.m.

Hi Ido

You may be thinking of Link by Attribute using CSV import, which can create links between module artifacts as you describe - see https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_7.0.1/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/t_link_by_attribute.html

HTH
Ian

Comments
Ido Eshed commented Sep 08 '20, 1:26 p.m.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, 

this is not what i was looking for, even for the Link-By-Attributes, we need to export back with the Jazz ID and then use the formal Jazz ID as the ID for the link by attributes. I was hoping there was a way to indicate parent-child during the initial import. 

Ido

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Sep 08 '20, 6:46 p.m.
edited Sep 09 '20, 12:31 a.m.
Yes you can but I'm still trying to work out the definitive rules for creation!

By using:
 - the correct column name for the link and its direction (don't forget the direction arrow if the ends aren't individually named)
 - the correct {LINK id=<id>} combo, where <id> is either <requirement id> or  <module id>.<requirement id> depending on whether you want an artefact or module link
 - the correct use of the moduleId, parentBinding and isHeader columns in the import if the source is module based, rather than artefact
 - the correct type of sacrifice at midnight on a lunar eclipse (joking but almost feels like not)!!

you can get it to work.

Comments
Ido Eshed commented Sep 09 '20, 4:55 a.m.

Thanks David

Long time :-) 

in any case, i am talking about an initial import of new data, so it cannot have a Jazz ID (neither artifact nor module). and this is not for modules anyway... 

so in an initial one time import of new data, this cannot happen?

Thanks

Ido 

Davyd Norris commented Sep 09 '20, 8:01 a.m. | edited Sep 09 '20, 8:01 a.m.
A very long time my friend :-)

That's a good question, and I think you'll have to do a double import. The {LINK id=<id>}  only works with a DNG ID and is the only way to create links at the time of import.

If this was a module import and the parent-children were in a hierarchy, then you can quickly create the links from the parentBinding afterwards. Could you do an initial import into a module to get the hierarchy, then use that to create parent-child links, then throw the module away?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.