It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to migrate Project Area with lot of content in DNG from Local to Global Configuration Management

Alfonso Garcia (111) | asked Oct 23 '19, 10:50 a.m.
edited Oct 23 '19, 11:18 a.m. by Fariz Saracevic (919613)

Hi All,

We in our project are using at the moment just one project area (locally managed) (name it "Local Configured Project Area") to create the whole specification tree, i.e. we have different folders with modules and requirements at different abstraction levels. 
In order to facilitate future configuration management we would like to change/migrate that project area to global configuration. We did the following:
  1. Created a new project area ("Global Configured Project Area")
  2. Enabled global configuration in  "Global Configured Project Area"
  3. Created Components for system, subsystems, components...
  4. We started to clone content from "Local Configured Project Area" to "Global Configured Project Area". 
    • We noticed that links are missing. 
    • Is there any other way of doing it that maintains the linkage, such as moving artifacts directly to the new "Global Configured Project Area"?
Thank you very much in advance for your support.

I look forward to hearing from you guys soon.

Alfonso

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 23 '19, 12:06 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The easiest way to keep all of your links is to just turn on versioning in our existing project area, rather than trying to migrate your artifacts to a new project area.   

Trying things out initially in a "sandbox" project area with a copy of your data before you turn versioning on in your existing project area is a good thing to do, but once you are comfortable with the behavior in that sandbox, then turning versioning on in the existing project area will keep your links intact.

Comments
Alfonso Garcia commented Oct 24 '19, 4:55 a.m. | edited Nov 01 '19, 10:57 a.m.

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for your prompt response. 
Yes, we are working in a "sandbox" project. Unfortunately, we cannot use that approach (i.e. just enable global config in the project area), as we need to handle visibility for determined components. As fas as I know the only possibility to handle visibility is to partition the specification tree into several project areas. 

Considering that, how could we migrate the modules to these new project areas with global config enabled conserving the links between the artifacts?

Thank again for your support.

I look forward to hearing from you guys soon.

Alfonso

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.