It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Jazz Team Server’s Send Test Email does not work (but Powershell’s ‘Send-MailMessage’ is OK)

Peter Turvey (99236) | asked Aug 01 '19, 5:02 a.m.

• Following an upgrade from CLM v6.0.2 to v6.0.6. the “Send Test Email” option (on the “Server Admin / Email Settings” page) no longer works.

Nothing seems to happen for a few minutes and then I get a java.net SocketTimeoutException : Read timed out

In the ‘jts.log’ file the error reported is CRJZS5074E.

Looking at the online guidance notes it seems that my problem is to do with the SMTP Server issues that are result of a change to the mail libraries, starting in version 6.0.3 for Collaborative Lifecycle Management.

My Jazz Team Server’s  E-mail Settings include :

SMTP Server = mailserver

SMTP Server port = 25

SMTP Username = rtcmail@my.domain

Use STARTTLS = false

To try and work out what the problem is I logged onto the Jazz Team Server (Windows Server 2012) and used the Powershell cmdlet “Send-MailMessage” as follows:

Send-MailMessage  –From rtcmail@my.domain  -To  user2@my.domain  -subject TestMsg  -Smtpserver mailserver

That was successful : “user2” received the message from “rtcmail@my.domain”.

So I appear to have smtp mail working from the Windows Server with ‘Send-MailMessage’ but not from the Jazz Team Server’s “Email-settings” web-page.

Any advice on what I need to do next to get email working again from my Jazz Team Server would be very welcome.

I have looked at the mailserver’s list of supported SMTP commands and also done some analysis of the SMTP network packets between the Jazz Team Server and the Mail Server. Details are given below:

Thanks Peter

More detail :

A telnet session was opened on the Jazz Team Server and connected to mailserver port 25.

An EHLO to the ‘mailserver’ returned :

EHLO mailserver

250-mailserver Hello [<ip-address>]

250-SIZE

250-PIPELINING

250-DSN

250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

250-STARTTLS

250-X-ANONYMOUS

250-AUTH NTLM

250-X-EXPS GSSAPI NTLM

250-8BITMIME

250-BINARYMIME

250-CHUNKING

250 XRDST

SMTP traffic when sending the Test Email from Jazz Team Server (unsuccessful)

• EHLO                              (sent from Jazz Team Server to mailserver)

• S : 250 Hello                (sent from mailserver back to Jazz Team Server)

• S : 451 4.7.0 Timeout waiting for client

SMTP traffic when using Powershell’s cmdlet, “Send-MailMessage”  (success)

• EHLO                                            (sent from Jazz Team Server to mailserver)

• S : 250 Hello                                (sent from mailserver back to Jazz Team Server)

• C: AUTH ntlm

• S: 334 ……………….316 bytes captured on interface 0  (from mailserver to JTS)

• C:   ………………  660 bytes captured on interface 0       (from JTS to mailserver)

S: 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful                          (sent from mailserver to JTS)

One answer

permanent link
Peter Turvey (99236) | answered Aug 01 '19, 10:06 a.m.

This can be closed down now.
I found that if I just left the SMTP Username and SMTP Password blank then the Jazz Team Server's email started to work again.

That's different to how I had it in JTS v6.0.2 but as long as it works then I can live with it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.