It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

SMTP: CRJZS5074E Unexpected exception sending mail

Ruth Goreti Gonzalez Rodriguez (25111) | asked Nov 24 '17, 2:14 p.m.

Hi, all.

I'm facing issues with SMTP server, I got this log in jts.log:
CRJZS5074E Unexpected exception sending mail
javax.mail.MessagingException: Failure sending HELO command to SMTP server

Also I got the same message when trying to send a test mail. This is what I have done:
- I checked port 25 status in SMTP server and it is opened
- SMTP is not configured with TLS encryption
- I tried telnet from CLM server to SMTP server and I could send a test email manually
- I tried changing with two available SMTP servers however I got the same results
- I restarted application and rebooting server
- SMTP does not need user/password to authenticate
- I tried this troubleshooting: http://rtpdoc01.rtp.raleigh.ibm.com:9080/kc/SSYMRC_6.0.5/com.ibm.jazz.repository.web.admin.doc/topics/c_troubleshoot_smtp.html
- And also I tried this one: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21586864

Do you have any idea what's happening?

Thanks!

Comments
Donald Nong commented Nov 27 '17, 1:07 a.m.

If SSL is not being used, it will be a good idea to capture network packets using tcpdump/Wireshark and see what is actually going on between JTS and the SMTP server.

Ruth Goreti Gonzalez Rodriguez commented Jan 11 '18, 3:38 p.m.

Hi, Donald.

We had to open a PMR, we have captured network packages using wireshark and we also replicated the problem in a test environment.
The issue here is that after v6.0.3 libraries for mailing have changed and they do not support any ESMTP inspection, which we had.
Actually, we are having a lot of problems since our security policies do not allow to disable ESMTP and PMR people don't have any other solution or suggestion.
We are still trying to find a way to solve this issue, hope we find an exception to disable ESMTP, because PMR people did not help us as we expected.

Keep you updated! Thanks for your answer, and sorry for the delay.

Regards.

Donald Nong commented Jan 12 '18, 2:55 a.m.

I need to clarify this after checking the internal discussion. What you need to disable is ASA ESMTP and SMTP Inspection, not ESMTP.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/113423-asa-esmtp-smtp-inspection.html

In fact, the first SMTP command that JTS sends to the SMTP is EHLO, which is an ESMTP command.

I'm curious why the new libraries send the command in two frames with the first frame containing only one byte though.

Donald Nong commented Jan 12 '18, 3:00 a.m.

Another option you can consider is to set up another mail server on the JTS server as a mail relay, if the company policy allows.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.