It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the best way to link RDNG Base Artifacts to their reused versions in modules

Hugh Lippincott (199) | asked Feb 20 '19, 4:55 p.m.

To use our Global sets of base artifact requirements we've created Template modules full of the requirements.

Then we copy the template into the project folder, using the special create link with the goal of creating an Extraction link from the base artifact to each use.
However, the only link we get is from module to copied module.
Using RDNG 6.0.6 in Jazz sandbox

Comments
Hugh Lippincott commented Feb 22 '19, 9:29 a.m.

Don Cooper's answer shows there will be no Extraction links to reused base artifacts.

It turns out the question I was really asking was how do I use or trace the references of reuse.  
The hover information popup shows what modules reuse the base artifact.
Views can have a Modules Used In column, but the column is left blank on screen!

How do I get at that referencing information?

One answer

permanent link
Don Cooper (16411) | answered Feb 21 '19, 7:33 a.m.
If the module templates contain base artifacts then that means the artifacts in the copied modules are references to the base artifacts, same UUIDs. No new artifacts are created. Each new module references the same base artifacts. You can verify this.

So, you can't link an artifact to itself nor would it have meaning if you could.

The link from the module template to the copied module has meaning since the new module created from the template is a new artifact.

Comments
Hugh Lippincott commented Feb 22 '19, 9:27 a.m. | edited Feb 22 '19, 9:32 a.m.

Thanks, Don Cooper!  Yes, my confusion, the reused artifacts show the same UUID!

Base artifacts are not REused, they are just used and referenced.
So I extended/corrected the question to getting at the references.

The Special Copy allows for a mix of Copied and Reused artifacts, but in my report I did not clarify that neither Copied nor Reused artifacts got linked.
So there seems to be an issue with Copied, but not linked artifacts; 
not important, it's just headers!

Hugh Lippincott commented Mar 01 '19, 8:20 a.m.

Don Cooper, Just found instances where the base artifacts in a folder are linked to their reused selves in modules in separate folders.  The base artifacts are listed as used in that series of modules.  They are system defined Information artifact type artifacts, as opposed to the requirement type artifacts and newly / project defined test type artifacts.

(I don't have points to insert screen shot)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.