It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CLM clean install with Oracle - database connection issues

Bob 3 (1482068) | asked Jan 31 '19, 5:08 p.m.

Installing an enterprise deployment of Rational Continuous Engineering v6.0.6 in a virtualized environment. Oracle 12 is the enterprise database requirement. The database has been established on its own virtual machine and all the tables, schemas, and users have been established according to the IBM interactive installation guide. Furthermore, I have installed the Oracle JDBC driver on the application server and created the required system environment variable pointing to the JDBC jar file. 

When I run the JTS setup wizard and get to the database connection page, I choose Oracle and JDBC. I enter the password in the first field and the connection string in the second and I always receive the same error:

Error SQLCODE 17067, according to Oracle, means "Invalid Oracle URL specified"

However, I can ping and telnet to the Oracle URL (and, for telnet, I used the Oracle port number) from the same virtual machine. The database administrator can connect to the database from the Oracle client.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why Rational can't connect to the database?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Bob 3 (1482068) | answered May 07 '19, 10:33 a.m.

Thanks for your response, Ralph.

The problem turned out to be a character in the password that was OK for Oracle but the CLM server saw it as a reserved character (#)
Upon changing the password, the connection string worked fine!

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented May 07 '19, 10:43 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks for sharing Bob. That is interesting to know! 

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered May 07 '19, 10:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

In these cases usually something is wrong with the JDBC Location (connection string) or the password. I have seen this various times and usually it is the JDBC Location. There are different ways how it can be written and that seems to sometimes be an issue. I can't help with the details beyond pointing to the interactive upgrade guide.

I think you mention to have done most of what I am aware of, but as an additiona, make sure the ojdbc8.jar (or whatever version is recommended) is available, which you claim you did.
I think also the tablespace and DB has to be already created, if you did not.

Anything in the application log file?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.