It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG - what does the background task VVCUnReferencedVersionsUpdaterTask do and it implications?

Norman Dignard (356688168) | asked Nov 20 '18, 7:04 a.m.

Running DNG 605 ifix5.   A while ago we noted an issue with DNG diagnositics in that the background task has failed and reports: CRJAZ1992E The "com.ibm.team.repository.vvc.VVCUnReferencedVersionsUpdaterTask" task could not be completed and is now unscheduled. Error details: "Deferred operation failed"

The only thing I found on the IBM site is to restart the server to address this issue. I have restarted the server and although it's execution initially runs fine after the restart, a few hours later it is reporting the error again.  I had also done a full reindex and repotools -clean but get the same results.

What does this task do and what are its implications on server performance and user data?
How do address this failing task? 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Javier Davalos (9115) | answered Nov 23 '18, 6:37 p.m.
Hi Norman,
for CM enabled projects this Async Task auto scheduled task updates the versions that are not being referenced by any configuration.
Every time the task is executed it goes over all the change events to process and once successfully processed will delete the change event. For each event this task will find out if any baselines exist between the old and new versions, if that's the case it'll update the old ones as unreferenced so that that garbage collector can clean these versions from the index.

To address the task failure please get in touch with the support team.

Regards,

Javier.
Norman Dignard selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Nov 24 '18, 8:25 a.m.

Thanks for the feedback. 

We are using CLM projects but have not enabled CM/GC functionality. We didn't have this issue in the past, its only recently we noticed the task failing. We have a jazz testbed setup of similar configuration to our production env and it does not have this issue.   

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.