It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a process for starting and stopping CLM services when servers are rebooted?

A S (58529) | asked Sep 07 '17, 1:05 p.m.

Is there a need to ensure that the services are stopped prior to server reboot or just make sure they have come up after the reboot?  Currently we just ensure the services are up, but the project has not reached SIT and Prod yet. I want to make sure that the tools are working smoothly before the impact becomes greater.  Our environment consists of the full CLM 6.03 suite -  JTS, CCM, GC, RS, RELM, LDX, RDNG, RQM, DCC, LQE, RLKS

Comments
Daniel Barbour commented Sep 07 '17, 2:23 p.m.

I don't know what the 'official' answer will be from IBM - but my experience has been that you are better off to gracefully shutdown all server apps before shutting down the server(s) hosting the apps.

This comes from having unintentionally shutdown the server before shutting down the apps - and one experience where we had an unplanned power outage on some servers that didn't have battery backup (they were sandbox machines)...while the CLM applications did come up after these events - they took a very long time to do so compared to how they came up when the apps were shutdown ahead of time.

Donald Nong commented Sep 15 '17, 2:09 a.m.

The risk of not shutting down the applications properly is getting the index corrupted. It will be costly to rebuild indexes for applications with large repositories, particularly for CCM and RM - it can take hours if not days.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | answered Sep 07 '17, 2:38 p.m.

I recommend to shutdown the apps within the normal server shutdown process.

If you are using Liberty it would be simple to add the server shutdown script, provided in the application/server folder to the correct shutdown level.
On Windows, you have the services with the start/stop scripts and this controls a proper shutdown of the app.

A S selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
SEC Servizi commented Sep 08 '17, 4:28 a.m. | edited Sep 08 '17, 4:29 a.m.
On Windows, you have the services with the start/stop scripts and this controls a proper shutdown of the app. 

Yes, on Windows host configuring the Jazz Team Server to run as a Windows service

is the safer mode to have the application properly started/stopped within OS.

A S commented Sep 10 '17, 10:26 a.m.

Thank you Guido, Servizi and Daniel.  

SEC Servizi, a question - pardon my ignorance here.  If the JTS server becomes a Windows service, does it automatically shut down cleanly when rebooting the Windows server?

SEC Servizi commented Sep 11 '17, 3:11 a.m.

Yes, it does.

One other answer

permanent link
Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | answered Sep 11 '17, 3:24 a.m.

I'm using following apache deamon to register and start stop the service:

https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/daemon/

commons-daemon-1.0.15-bin-windows-signed

Here my registration script:

@echo on

rem Run as Administrator
rem
rem Liberty profile delivered with CLM V.6.0.1 has no built in mechanism to define the startup as a windows service. For this you need a helper tool. I suggest to create the service using Apache Commons Daemon to run CLM in Liberty
rem
rem Download the binaries for Windows from http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/daemon/binaries/windows/
rem commons-daemon-1.0.15-bin-windows-signed.zip
rem Unzip the downloaded file
rem Move the files int
rem
rem C:\IBM\commons-daemon-1.0.15-bin-windows-signed
rem
rem Create a script with below content and run it to create a Manual service. You need to change the values in the variables, and you might need to change other values too (e.g. --Startup if you want this service to be automatic):
rem
set VERS=604
rem set APPLLISTTOREGISTER=RS DM RM QM CCM JTS LQE ALL
set APPLLISTTOREGISTER=JTS

set IBMPROG_FOLDER=D:\IBM
set DAEMONPROG_FOLDER=%IBMPROG_FOLDER%

for %%X in ( %APPLLISTTOREGISTER% ) do (
set APPL=%%X

call :SUB_SetServiceForAppl

)

goto end

rem ========= Subroutines ================
:SUB_SetServiceForAppl
rem Copy DB file to this server for restore
@echo .resister %APPL% %VERS% as windows service on this server
set DAEMON_EXEC="%DAEMONPROG_FOLDER%\commons-daemon-1.0.15-bin-windows-signed\amd64\prunsrv.exe"
set SERVER_VARIANT=Liberty
set SERVER_FOLDER=%IBMPROG_FOLDER%\Jazz%SERVER_VARIANT%%APPL%%VERS%\server
set SERVER_START_COMMAND="%SERVER_FOLDER%\server.startup.bat"
set SERVER_START_COMMAND_PATH="%SERVER_FOLDER%"
set SERVER_STOP_COMMAND="%SERVER_FOLDER%\server.shutdown.bat"
set SERVER_STOP_COMMAND_PATH="%SERVER_FOLDER%"
set LOG_PATH="%SERVER_FOLDER%\logs\daemon"
set SERVICE_NAME=IBM-BT-Jazz%SERVER_VARIANT%%APPL%%VERS%
set SERVICE_DISPLAY_NAME=%SERVICE_NAME%
set SERVICE_DESCRIPTION=%SERVICE_NAME%
set INSTALL_SERVICE_COMMAND=%DAEMON_EXEC% //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Startup=manual --DisplayName=%SERVICE_DISPLAY_NAME% --Description=%SERVICE_DESCRIPTION% ++DependsOn=Tcpip --LogPath=%LOG_PATH% --StdOutput=auto --StdError=auto --StartMode=exe --StartPath=%SERVER_START_COMMAND_PATH% --StartImage=%SERVER_START_COMMAND% --StopMode=exe --StopPath=%SERVER_STOP_COMMAND_PATH% --StopImage=%SERVER_STOP_COMMAND%
@echo %INSTALL_SERVICE_COMMAND%
@echo %INSTALL_SERVICE_COMMAND% > %IBMPROG_FOLDER%\Register_%APPL%_%VERS%_as_service.log
%INSTALL_SERVICE_COMMAND%

@echo %errorlevel%
GOTO:EOF

:end

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.