It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In RDNG, can I embed a module within another module?

Will Cummings (378) | asked Mar 28 '17, 5:57 p.m.

I have gone through great pains to create modules containing requirements artifacts.  Now, I'm trying to create a new parent module that will have embedded within it the other modules, but when I try to "insert existing artifact", the artifact (module) I want is not available in the list box, nor can it be found even when I search for the exact ID.

What could I be doing wrong?  If a Module is an artifact of artifacts, seems one should be able to continue to nest...

Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Erica Tran (1.4k7) | answered Mar 28 '17, 6:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello Will,

You cannot add a module within a module.  I found an old enhancement request for this feature which was reviewed and they did not include the feature. 

Enhancement 55903: Provide RRC "module within a module" support

You can submit a new request if you'd like this feature reconsidered.

I hope this helps.

Will Cummings selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Will Cummings commented Mar 28 '17, 6:18 p.m.

Thank you Erica.  After reading the enhancement request's proposal and reasoning, I am puzzled why the development board decided to kill it.  Seemed perfectly reasonable to me (I know - statements like that drive developers nuts... I am one...).

What's the process for re-requesting it?  I'm very new to the forum and to Rational in general.

One other answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Mar 28 '17, 7:45 p.m.

A module is not exactly an "artifact", even though it has such artifact type associated. Put it simply, a module is a "requirement collection", while a requirement artifact is just a "requirement".

If nested module/collection is allowed, the first issue (in a pure technical perspective) pops up is cyclic referencing. For example, Module A contains Module B, Module B contains Module C, and Module C contains Module A. This is my own opinion, and may not be the reason that development rejected the enhancement request.

As the enhancement request is very old, you can submit a new one in the RFE community.
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/

Comments
Will Cummings commented Mar 29 '17, 10:28 a.m.

Thank you Donald.  Hadn't thought of the circular reference problem (doh!).  Be that as it may, still would be nice to have a collection of collections...  Hmm...  there is something called a "Collection" as well in Rational; I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the link to the enhancement request page.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.