It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can be old RMC libraries open in MEC and re-used?

Dmitry A. Lesin (24825996) | asked Oct 21 '21, 12:23 p.m.

Hello everybody!

Does somebody know whether old Rational Method Composer libraries (developed more than 10 years ago) can be imported into IBM Engineering Lifecycle Optimization Method Composer v7.6.x? I was trying open the repository like I was doing it many years ago but it seems that format is modified very much.
Could somebody give an advice if it can be done somehow?
Thank you very much for any recommendations!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Bruce J MacIsaac (26) | answered Oct 21 '21, 1:25 p.m.
I believe older libraries should open fine in MEC 7.6.x.  It's easy enough to test it - you can install a trial version of current MEC and try opening the libraries. If you run into problems, feel free to reach out.
Some changes were made several years ago in how task descriptors synchronize with task method elements.
Your old library should continue to work as it did before, but if you want the task descriptors to automatically synchronize with the task method elements, you have to change a preference setting that does a one-time conversion of your library to "autosynchronized". Another change was the addition of "configuration-free" processes, where delivery processes and capability patterns no longer need to specify a configuration.  Existing processes from older libraries will have a configuration assigned.  They will continue to work as before, but you may want to recreate them without a configuration if you want to use the publishing configuration to control what gets published rather than restrict the process to the assigned configuration.
Bottom line - try it out, and if you have issues, reach out.

Cheers,
Bruce MacIsaac
Dmitry A. Lesin selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dmitry A. Lesin commented Oct 22 '21, 1:36 a.m. | edited Oct 22 '21, 1:36 a.m.
Hi Bruce,
Thank you for quick answer. It seems that I have confused a bit. The matter is that the repositories that I was trying to open where really created about 15 year ago but with the very old RUP Builder tool that can be considered as predecessor to RMC and EPF Composer. I forgot about that tool already. That's why I was not able to open the old data in RMC (or MEC).
Thank you very much for directing me in correct way!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.